[comp.sys.ncr] High Speed Modems on a Tower

nolan@helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) (04/10/91)

I just got a pair of Telebit T1600's.  Running SVR2 on a Tower/450, I
can't seem to get the T1600 to function in both directions.  I can get
the modem to call out, or I can get it to answer, but I can't seem to
get it to do both with uugetty.

I know I've seen others having this problem bemoaning the fact in c.s.ncr,
but I have had this working on a Everex 2400 baud modem prior to getting
the T1600, so I was assuming that either I had avoided the problem or that
(more likely) it didn't exist in SVR2 but does in SVR3 because of the
I/O rewrite.

Also, there is no entry in /etc/gettydefs for 38400 speed devices.  Is
it possible to just add one?
-------
Michael Nolan                               This is my .sig
Internet:  nolan@helios.unl.edu             T*His_iS#MY%.SIg oN DrUGs!@%#@%
UUCP:      tssi!nolan                       Any questions?

bill@wrangler.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (04/12/91)

In article <nolan.671267328@helios> nolan@helios.unl.edu writes:

>I just got a pair of Telebit T1600's.  Running SVR2 on a Tower/450, I
>can't seem to get the T1600 to function in both directions.  I can get
>the modem to call out, or I can get it to answer, but I can't seem to
>get it to do both with uugetty.

My T-1600 is working OK for dial and answer on wrangler (32/400) but it
wasn't painless; not was it intuitive or obvious.  The only DNA that the
T-1600 shares with it's Telebit kin is the case styling and logo on the
bezel.  I'll not bore everyone with the register settings (unless there
is interest) but in short you need to have it keep DCD active except to
have it drop for S47 duration when it's lost.  The other gotcha is that
hardware flow control at 38,400bps is faster than the hpsio can react.
Mine's set at 19,200bps.  Oh yeah, there's something else about not being
able to have one tty set for 38.4Kbps with it's neighbor at some other
bit rate.

I tried XON/XOFF flow control and it didn't work very well either, so I
just left it at 19.2Kbps.  What little high speed work I've done indicated
that anything beyond 19.2Kbps probably isn't worth it.  Over a V.42 SL/IP
(not on wrangler) connection I get 1600cps transfer rates with ftp, uucp
transfers are around 800-900cps regardless of the interface speed or the
machine it's on.

>I know I've seen others having this problem bemoaning the fact in c.s.ncr,
>but I have had this working on a Everex 2400 baud modem prior to getting
>the T1600, so I was assuming that either I had avoided the problem or that
>(more likely) it didn't exist in SVR2 but does in SVR3 because of the
>I/O rewrite.

I doubt that an Ev2400 and T-1600 are really in the same league, but mine's
set up on a phone line that's shared with a fax and it has the interface
locked at 19.2Kbps, hardware handshake to an hpsio-8.  I'm a newcomer so I
haven't seen the uugetty groanings, maybe Murphy was out when I set mine up :-)

What's I/O rewrite?  Is that why I had to have all my neighbors add one or
more \d's before sending uugetty the \r to wake him up?  I didn't need it
in Vr2 but Vr3 seems to need to yawn before rising.

>Also, there is no entry in /etc/gettydefs for 38400 speed devices.  Is
>it possible to just add one?

Yes it is, but be ready to delete one if you do.  I found that if there are
too many entries in /etc/gettydefs va will dump core and leave you in a very
wounded state.  If that happens to you, just delete one of the ones you don't
use and you should be OK.  That's what I did and it's repeatable.  It only
affects va but if you need to turn ttys on and off that's enough...
--
Bill Kennedy  uucp      {att,cs.utexas.edu,pyramid!daver}!ssbn.wlk.com!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM   or ssbn!bill@attmail.COM