[comp.sys.ncr] NCR's 3000 series to replace towers???

harris@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Ray Harris) (04/16/91)

-In article <391@wybbs.mi.org> sleepy@wybbs.UUCP (Mike Faber) writes:
->In article <5904@holston.UUCP> barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:
->>In article <nolan.670834286@helios> nolan@helios.unl.edu writes:
->>
->>Do the high end (ie. 3400 and >) support symetric multiprocessing?
->
->This was one thing that NCR was VERy vague about.  They're going to use
->(they say) loosely coupled processing, and the 3700 and 3800 are suppposed to
->supercede all supercomputers in terms of MIPS.  The lowest level 3000 that is
->multi processor - the 3500 - uses tightly coupled architechture, and will
->use up to 6 486/50's.
->>

The MP 3400 and 3500 models will be tightly coupled and symmetric.  The
3550 will support up to eight 50 Mhz 80486's.
--

Ray.Harris@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Ray Harris)
..!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!harris		...!gatech!hubcap!ncrcae!harris

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (04/20/91)

In article <697@ncrsea.Seattle.NCR.COM> dmdc@ncrsea.Seattle.NCR.COM (Dennis M. Dooley) writes:
>In article <391@wybbs.mi.org> sleepy@wybbs.UUCP (Mike Faber) writes:
>>In article <5904@holston.UUCP> barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:
>>>In article <nolan.670834286@helios> nolan@helios.unl.edu writes:
>>>
>>>Do the high end (ie. 3400 and >) support symetric multiprocessing?

[NCR 3000 info deleted]

What bus is NCR going to go with on the high end 486/50 systems?

Proprietary buses tend to fly in the face of open systems in my
opinion.

Maybe someone could comment on whether the MC bus will handle
multiple processors? Or is NCR thinking about EISA? I read a
comment by an NCR marketing spokesman in PW where he stated that
one of the targets was the Systempro.
--
uucp: holston!barton
pseudo: barton@holston.UUCP

jlodman@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Michael Lodman) (04/21/91)

In article <5907@holston.UUCP> barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:
>What bus is NCR going to go with on the high end 486/50 systems?

In the level 7, it is my understanding that the processor-memory interface
will be a proprietary very wide (128 bit) bus. I/O will be handled through
various optional attached buses, including MC and MBII. I don't know how many
processors NCR will be placing in a single cabinet of the
level 7, but my (somewhat educated) guess is 4-8. These separate cabinets
will be interconnected through a new verion of the Teradata Y-Net being
specifically developed for this product and referred to as the BY-Net
(I think "B" stands for "Big", but I'm just guessing). Thus, the
thousands of processors referred to by NCR will be attached through the BY-Net.

>Proprietary buses tend to fly in the face of open systems in my
>opinion.

Depending on what buses you are referring to, I agree. Unfortunately, there
isn't a standard bus available which supports the transfer bandwidth
between processors and memory which NCR needs to sustain in the level 7.
The I/O buses will be completely industry standard, except that NCR may choose
to support some of their older proprietary I/O standards as well to
bring customers over to the new system.

>Maybe someone could comment on whether the MC bus will handle
>multiple processors? Or is NCR thinking about EISA? I read a
>comment by an NCR marketing spokesman in PW where he stated that
>one of the targets was the Systempro.

The MC bus will handle multiple processors. I really doubt that anyone would
want to hang memory off it as well, though. I don't think NCR has EISA
plans, but my information could well be dated. I would appreciate any
corrections if I am incorrect in my understanding of the level 7.

--
Michael Lodman	Department of Computer Science Engineering
	University of California, San Diego