[comp.sys.ncr] NCR Multi-processor unix

nolan@helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) (04/18/91)

The latest issue of OpenLine (from NCR E&M Columbia) has a two page article
on NCR's implementation plans for multi-processor unix.  Rather than retype
the whole thing I'll summarize the major points (IMHO):

1.  Will be based on SVR4   (SVR4 MP)
2.  USL (AT&T) will release SVR4 MP in 2nd quarter of '91.
3.  NCR wants to be one of the first with commercial release of SVR4 MP.
4.  Will be fully symetrical.
5.  Kernel will be multi-threaded.

In a sidebar, the article states that applications developed in SVR4 'will
run unchanged' on SVR4 MP, providing that the developers write portable
code, meaning using standard system calls.

Question:  Does that mean that there will NOT be a common ABI between
SVR4 and SVR4 MP, so that programs will have to be recompiled?

Michael Nolan
nolan@helios.unl.edu

vaigl-j@carrot.cis.ohio-state.edu (James Vaigl) (04/19/91)

Has NCR, then, given up on getting an MP version of OS/2?  There was
a great deaal of talk about this during a recent reorganization of the
WPD'd software development group.  They were talking about working
directly with microsoft, using their source agreement,...
but I'v seen nothing since then, not even marketing fluff, that
references this.

--Jim

dick@ahds.UUCP (Dick Heijne CCS/TS) (04/19/91)

In article <109485@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, vaigl-j@carrot.cis.ohio-state.edu (James Vaigl) writes:
> Has NCR, then, given up on getting an MP version of OS/2?  There was
> a great deaal of talk about this during a recent reorganization of the
> WPD'd software development group.  They were talking about working
> directly with microsoft, using their source agreement,...
> but I'v seen nothing since then, not even marketing fluff, that
> references this.

Microsoft announced a few months ago that they definitly stop all OS/2
activities and will fully concentrate on MS/Windows.
This does't promis much future for OS/2, since IBM will have to do all
developments itself now, and we all know where that leads too...
Several manufacturers have at least delayed their activities in this field
since then.
I gather that NCR switched its policy accordingly.

Dick.

rogers@ofc.Columbia.NCR.COM (HL Rogers) (04/19/91)

In article <651@wrangler.WLK.COM> nolan@helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) writes:
>In a sidebar, the article states that applications developed in SVR4 'will
>run unchanged' on SVR4 MP, providing that the developers write portable
>code, meaning using standard system calls.
>
>Question:  Does that mean that there will NOT be a common ABI between
>SVR4 and SVR4 MP, so that programs will have to be recompiled?

The section you reference in the article was using the context of a
customer who has been sold on the multiprocessing systems.  Since
these are not in production yet, NCR wants to insure customers they
can proceed with designing applications for the MP machines on their
current SVR4 uniprocessor systems.  The cautionary statement perhaps
was confusing; it is a simple reminder to use standard calls.
Neither the APIs nor ABI will change.  NCR's MP version is built upon
the uniprocessor version which is shipping today.
--
HL Rogers    (hl.rogers@ncrcae.ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM)
Me?  Speak for my company??  Why would I want to do that?

vaigl-j@carp.cis.ohio-state.edu (James Vaigl) (04/21/91)

I don't think NCR plans to switch its emphasis away from OS/2, cause
the contract that I'm working on is to port a large Unix app. to OS/2.

--Jim

ps: in reference to MS's plans w.r.t long-term OS/2 plans...I have an
article somwhere.  I'll find it and post it later.