[comp.sys.ncr] Installation wierdness

bill@wrangler.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (04/29/91)

This one is absolutely bizarre, hopefully there's something very simple
to get around it.

The default partitioning on wrangler (32/400, Vr3) didn't suit me so I
ran a complete backup so that I could re-install (repartition really).
Everything proceeded normally until I got to the prompt asking me for a
root device name.  The only device it found (and the only one it should
have) was sda1 for the first multibus SCSI.  What is crazy is that I
could not type in sda1.  There was nothing from the keyboard or to the
screen from that point on.  I have been using the Televideo 955 console
ever since forever, but back in the haze I remember Towers being fussy
about their console (for no good reason since Vr3) so I grabbed an old
ADDS Viewpoint, reset and navigated my way to the same place, same result.

The only thing that I have done with the install tape since the initial
installation is turn the write-protect to the protected (from me) position
and put it in a safe place.  I did retension it before I started the
re-install attempt and the console (9600bps 7, even, 1) worked just fine
up to the point of failure and works just fine now.  I tried a ^Q in case
something might have stopped up the terminal, so I must ASSume that
something has gone crazy with the install tape.  Has anyone else heard of
or seen anything like this?  Is there any way around it?  All I really want
to do is repartition, I guess it's obvious (since I'm posting from it) that
other than what I've described, the system is working OK.  I got the same
behavior twice each with two different terminals, each of which works OK
for anything else.  I was also able to enter the tape device name and the
other keyboard commands to get to the point of failure.  I'm absolutely
stumped...
--
Bill Kennedy  uucp      {att,cs.utexas.edu,pyramid!daver}!ssbn.wlk.com!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM   or ssbn!bill@attmail.COM

rey@safn2.UUCP (rey) (04/29/91)

In article <682@wrangler.WLK.COM>, bill@wrangler.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
> This one is absolutely bizarre, hopefully there's something very simple
> to get around it.
>
> could not type in sda1.  There was nothing from the keyboard or to the
> screen from that point on.  I have been using the Televideo 955 console
> ever since forever, but back in the haze I remember Towers being fussy
> about their console (for no good reason since Vr3) so I grabbed an old
> ADDS Viewpoint, reset and navigated my way to the same place, same result.
>
> The only thing that I have done with the install tape since the initial
> installation is turn the write-protect to the protected (from me) position

I about wore out my install tape Fri, restoring  my root partition.
I would mount the corrupted partition, copy stuff to floppy, then
think of another file I needed, before taking the big step of system
restore from 2/17/91. The first time this happened (wyse50) I noticed
the electrical tape on the keyboard cord and switched to another wyse50
and cable. What you describe happened several times. I just hit
the reset switch again and waited 15 min to get there again. I also
had "safe" on the tape. That is what I would do differently again.
Take "safe" off the tape. Persistance paid off for me as the system is up
fine now. Tower 450/32 3.00.01. My root is sdb1. wyse50 was 9600 7E1/DTR.

This is an event I had dismissed as Gremlins. Then I see your post.

--
Reynolds McClatchey (Southern Aluminum Finishing Co, Atlanta, GA, USA)
Architectural Aluminum. Custom Fabrication. Paint, Powder Coating, Anodizing.

bill@wrangler.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (04/30/91)

In article <1783@safn2.UUCP>, rey@safn2.UUCP (rey) writes:
> In article <682@wrangler.WLK.COM>, I wrote:
> > This one is absolutely bizarre, hopefully there's something very simple
> > to get around it. [ console dies when prompting for the root device... ]
>
> [ similar things happened to Rey McClatchey... ]
>
> Take "safe" off the tape. Persistance paid off for me as the system is up
> fine now. Tower 450/32 3.00.01. My root is sdb1. wyse50 was 9600 7E1/DTR.
>
> This is an event I had dismissed as Gremlins. Then I see your post.

This time the cavalry rode to my rescue.  I was re-reading the release notes
when I got a piece of email from John Alsop at Sea Change.  He suggested I
might have something connected to ttya that was asserting DCD and confusing
the program.  I do indeed have a Heathkit weather computer hooked to ttya
and it does indeed assert DCD.

I wasn't aware that you could install at 1200 baud from ttya or 9600 baud
from ttyb but that's what the book says.  I didn't have time to get backed
up, verified, and re-installed and make the Nucon this evening but I'll do
it first thing in the morning.

T H A N K S   A   B U N C H   J O H N   A L S O P   ! ! !

I shudder to think of the crazy things I might have tried without ever
finding out what was wrong.  Sheesh!  I feel kind of silly, but I'm
delighted to have the answer.