[comp.sys.ncr] Building emacs on NCR Unix 5.3

art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) (05/17/91)

In article <346@cocteau.raidernet.com> root@cocteau.raidernet.com (Gene Porter) writes:
>	I've been trying to build emacs 18.55 on an NCR Tower 700 running NCR
>Unix 5.3.  Everything goes OK until "temacs" is first executed in the build
>process.  It pukes with a memory error (or some such thing).  The problem seems
>to be that command line arguments aren't being passed in to C.  I've used the
>same source on the NCR 650 running NCR Unix 5.2 with no problem.  I think it
>something to do with the startup code for C.  When I ran nm on the crt.o in the
>NCR standard C library I saw something that seemed to be PMC III specific.
>Could this be the problem?  Has anybody had the same experience?  Is there a
>fix?

First off, you should apply the patches developed by ra@intsys.no
(Robert Andersson) to the untouched emacs 18.55 distribution and
go from there.  Robert's patches work very well (Thanks Robert ;^))
You also may need to jack up your MAXUMEM kernel tunable in order
to run emacs and other big stuff.  It is set rather low by default.
Robert has patches for gcc as well.  Both his emacs and gcc patches
are specifically for NCR Sys5r3 (OS 1.xx/3.xx).  I can send you the
patches if you'd like, send me email requesting them or get them
directly from Robert.
--
Arthur W. Neilson III		| INET: art@pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pilikia!art