[comp.sys.ncr] I AM REAL

ED.HOPPER@ehbbs.WLK.COM (ED HOPPER) (05/22/91)

I have received word that somehow my postings in comp.sys.ncr have
reached the internal mail system inside NCR.  I am not sure how this
happened, but basically I posted this message and the two proceeding
ones a few days ago to comp.sys.ncr via the NCR Tower mailing list run
by Bill Kennedy.  This posting is originating from my personal BBS in
Houston Texas.

I wanted to clear this up as I received several phone calls from
confused and somewhat concerned ncr.folks asking "How did you get into
our system?"

At any rate, I'll repeat the invitation for NCR people to receive free
membership in this BBS upon proof of employment that was in one of my

I look forward to hereing from you.

Ed Hopper
Data Sales Executive/High Performance Systems
AT&T Computer Systems
Houston, Texas

BBS:713-997-7575  Office: 713-968-5267   Home: 713-997-9834
ED.HOPPER@ehbbs.wlk.com   ehopper@attmail.com
---
 . RNet 1.07R:Ed Hopper's BBS-Houston, TX - 713-997-7575

rogers@ofc.Columbia.NCR.COM (HL Rogers) (05/23/91)

In article <728@wrangler.WLK.COM> ED.HOPPER@ehbbs.WLK.COM (ED HOPPER) writes:

>I have received word that somehow my postings in comp.sys.ncr have
>reached the internal mail system inside NCR.  I am not sure how this
>happened,

If the sys files are set-up correctly, anyone can post articles into
NCR's private newsgroups.  All one has to know is the name of the
NCR newsgroup.  Postings will not flow out, however, since our
gateway administrators are generally very careful about maintaining
security of internal newsgroups.
--
HL Rogers    (hl.rogers@ncrcae.ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM)
These opinions are mine and may not be consistent

ED.HOPPER@ehbbs.WLK.COM (ED HOPPER) (05/25/91)

-> If the sys files are set-up correctly, anyone can post articles into
-> NCR's private newsgroups.  All one has to know is the name of the NCR
-> newsgroup.  Postings will not flow out, however, since our
-> gateway administrators are generally very careful about maintaining
-> security of internal newsgroups.

I made no attempt to post to any group other than comp.sys.ncr.  Also,
judging from some of the replies I received, these were not "news"
readers, I don't think.  They made reference to "Mail Plus", an internal
NCR system.

By the way, I have received several replies from inside NCR.
Unfortunately, most attempts to reach them via email bounce.  This
includes messages to NCR "City" name servers (London.NCR.COM, etc) and
to true machine addresses.  How do I mail to NCR?  I am going to try a
couple of other routing methods, but am not sure things will work.

Ed Hopper
ehopper@attmail.com
ED.HOPPER@ehbbs.wlk.com
---
 . RNet 1.07R:Ed Hopper's BBS-Houston, TX - 713-997-7575