[comp.sys.ncr] Installing GNU on NCR --- what's dirent.h?

pcolsen@super.ORG (Peter C Olsen) (06/15/91)

I'm looking for help installing BASH, the GNU Bourne Again SHell, on a
MiniTower running Unix System V, Version 2.  The package requires the
include file "dirent.h" which I haven't got.  Can anyone tell me how
to either remove it, fake it, or work around it?

Along the same lines, CRISP, another free editing package, requires
"readdir", "opendir", and "closedir"  --- which I also haven't got.
Can anyone give me help with these as well?

Peter Olsen
pcolsen@super.super.org  301-997-8584 (eves)

art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Arthur Neilson) (06/17/91)

In article <46778@super.ORG> pcolsen@super.ORG (Peter C Olsen) writes:
>I'm looking for help installing BASH, the GNU Bourne Again SHell, on a
>MiniTower running Unix System V, Version 2.  The package requires the
>include file "dirent.h" which I haven't got.  Can anyone tell me how
>to either remove it, fake it, or work around it?
>
>Along the same lines, CRISP, another free editing package, requires
>"readdir", "opendir", and "closedir"  --- which I also haven't got.
>Can anyone give me help with these as well?
>
>Peter Olsen
>pcolsen@super.super.org  301-997-8584 (eves)

The directory(3C) family of routines (opendir, readdir, telldir, seekdir,
rewinddir, closedir) are portable directory access routines found on BSD
and SYS5R3 systems.  SYS5R2 based systems (as in NCR OS 2.xx) do not have
these routines in it's libraries, fortunately this is easily rectified
by obtaining Doug Gwyn's public domain implementation of the directory
routines and installing them on your system.  I have used them with great
success on Towers running NCR OS 2.xx.  I can email you the gwyn-dir package
if you cannot locate it on an archive site near you, send me email requesting
the package.
--
Arthur W. Neilson III		| INET: art@pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pilikia!art