[comp.sys.ncr] SVR4 open files bug ?

nigel@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au (Nigel Harwood) (06/14/91)

We have an NCR System 3000 running AT&T SVR4.0 2.0

Every couple of days when I come in in the Morning I find the following
message displayed on the console.

   Errno: %d Too many open files
   Cannot open Tally output file for writing
   tlydemon exiting

We do not experience any problems with the system (that we can see)
after this error.

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

Regards
--
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  Nigel Harwood  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<< Post:  Coles Myer Ltd, PO Box 2000 Tooronga 3146, Australia     >>

lisa@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Lisa Campbell) (06/18/91)

In article <1270@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au> nigel@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au (Nigel Harwood) writes:
>We have an NCR System 3000 running AT&T SVR4.0 2.0
>
>Every couple of days when I come in in the Morning I find the following
>message displayed on the console.
>
>   Errno: %d Too many open files
>   Cannot open Tally output file for writing
>   tlydemon exiting
>
>We do not experience any problems with the system (that we can see)
>after this error.

The "Too many open files" message is coming from the tlydemon (located
in /sbin).  It seems we were opening one more file than we were closing in
extracting the hourly tlydemon data (you can even see the bad call
to close() in truss), and after several days (once NOFILES were
exceeded - it defaults to 60, so it would happen every 60 hours), the
tlydemon exceeds its maximum number of open files and exits.  You're
right in that it doesn't cause any system problems, other than the
tlydemon quitting; you have to restart it every couple of days.

I know this problem has been SPEC'ed, and I believe is fixed in
Release 1.00.01.

Sorry about the annoyance,

Lisa M. Campbell			Phone: (803) 791-6243
NCR E&M Columbia			E-mail: ...!ncrcae!sauron!lisa or
3325 Platt Springs Rd.			   lisa.campbell@ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM
W. Columbia, SC 29170

rogers@ofc.Columbia.NCR.COM (HL Rogers) (06/18/91)

>I know this problem has been SPEC'ed,

For those who do not know, "SPEC'ed" is NCR-lingo for "logged into
software problem tracking/accounting system."  That's a system that
keeps track of our software problems, how long they have been open,
who owns the problem, what the workaround is, and when the fix is
due.
--
HL Rogers    (hl.rogers@ncrcae.ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM)
These opinions are mine and may not be consistent