[bionet.molbio.genome-program] JITF Information Dissemination

ldow@apldbio.com (Leslie Johnston-Dow) (03/16/90)

Subject: Re: JITF information on Bionet
Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.genome-program

In article <Mar.14.22.45.46.1990.16853@genbank.BIO.NET>, kristoff@genbank.BIO.NET (David Kristofferson) writes:

> I find it curious that after teaching probably a dozen people how to
> use an electronic microscope during my lab days, the same group might
> approach something like vnews with greater hesitation even though
> proper operation of the microscope was much more involved.  There was
> always an initial suspicion about the use of electronic mail on behalf
> of users who were new to the BIONET Resource (R.I.P.), but I knew many
> who, after they actually tried it, found out that it really wasn't as
> hard as they had feared after all.  Too many people still recall
> struggling with computers for hours at some point in the past to
> accomplish a job which they could have done manually in minutes.  This
> memory prevents too many from wanting to get involved again.
> Fortunately things have changed dramatically since the days of punch
> cards!

Dave,
  I think the above statement makes my point. The general biology community
may have the perception that computers and (god forbid) a mailer or
news reader is difficult if not impossible to decipher. The perception
is everything. The only way to change that is through education. We are
speaking of extremely intelligent people who are quite capable of
understanding and using computers and Bionet. *But* if they perceive this
to be a formidable task with little return on invested time they will
not even try. My suggestion concerning a series of 'How-To' articles could
help in re-educating the biology community and in changing this perception.
In addition to serving as a basic step-by-step learning tool.

Leslie Johnston-Dow
ldow@apldbio.com  or try
biosys!ldow@cad.berkeley.edu

The opinions here are all mine....not ABI's.