[bionet.molbio.genome-program] JITF information on Bionet

kristoff@genbank.BIO.NET (David Kristofferson) (03/15/90)

Leslie,

	While I pointed out the advantages of USENET software in an
earlier posting I do not deny that it is yet another piece of software
to learn.  However, if one only learns how to use a mail program (of
which there are many that are pretty simple to use), one can
participate in the BIOSCI newsgroups simply by sending in one's
address to get on our distribution list and by mailing one's postings
to the newsgroup.  This generally does not entail much more than
knowing how to start the mail program, how to read a message, how to
type in "send" followed by the newsgroup address, and then compose
one's message.  I think that virtually all biologists can handle this,
and those who can't probably wouldn't be interested in an informatics
discussion anyway.  Reading the postings through USENET, however, does
involve learning yet another program besides mail.

	Regarding the ease of use of the news software, that can vary
from site to site.  For the GenBank On-line Service (GOS) system, we
emphasize vnews but also provide rn and readnews.  The GOS user manual
is designed to walk a user through vnews.  I agree that the interface
needs improvement, but I also believe that it can be learned by anyone
who is willing to invest about half an hour to read through the
chapter in our manual and try things out on GOS.  If your systems
staff simply puts up a piece of software on your computer and then
merely says," Here it is ... good luck, sucker!" then I would get
after them to do their job!

I find it curious that after teaching probably a dozen people how to
use an electronic microscope during my lab days, the same group might
approach something like vnews with greater hesitation even though
proper operation of the microscope was much more involved.  There was
always an initial suspicion about the use of electronic mail on behalf
of users who were new to the BIONET Resource (R.I.P.), but I knew many
who, after they actually tried it, found out that it really wasn't as
hard as they had feared after all.  Too many people still recall
struggling with computers for hours at some point in the past to
accomplish a job which they could have done manually in minutes.  This
memory prevents too many from wanting to get involved again.
Fortunately things have changed dramatically since the days of punch
cards!

Nonetheless I think that it would be a very worthwhile project as part
of the Genome Project for NIH/DOE to help fund the development of a
public domain newsreader that was as simple to use as it is to fall
off a log.  This could greatly facilitate communications between the
various Centers that are planned.  So far I have not had much luck in
getting anyone at NIH excited about this yet, probably because it is
not exclusively a biology problem.  Doug Brutlag at Stanford told me
just the other day that there now is a version of USENET news software
which runs on a Mac, but I haven't seen it yet and so cannot comment
on its ease of use. (Doug, care to join in?)  If it is a class job,
maybe this need has been or is about to be filled.
--
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank On-line Service Manager

				kristoff@genbank.bio.net

dow@largo.ig.com (Christopher Dow) (03/17/90)

In article <9003141547.AA06600@apldbio.com>, ldow@apldbio.com (Leslie
Johnston-Dow) writes:

> And I do agree. However, it is naieve to think that the basically
> non-electronic community of biologists will be able to make effective
> use of the electronic newsgroups without a great deal of help.
>
> Now for my humble proposal :-)
> I believe it would be valuable if the biology comunity were initially
> contacted through journals, for example BioTechniques would be perfect.
> A series of articles could be written outlining the availablity and (most
> importantly) the day to day uses of Bionet. These articles could allow
> an average biologist the initial information to subscribe to and use
> Bionet presented in a forum that they readily use and understand.
> Now, I am NOT criticizing Dave,the Bionet management, or community!
> I think everyone has done a fine job disseminating information, but in
> my experience the scope is far too limited.  I am aware that theres have been
> publications concerning this issue, but in my experience the biology
> community is not readily aware of them. So lets get 'em where they
> live!

  I agree that we Bionet should be used as a source input from the scientific
community, and also the Bionet in general should be used by more people.
There is, however, a very real problem with getting on a computer and acutally
doing it.  Some ways to reduce the engergy barrier would be more information
on not just how to use Bionet, but also about the different news and mail
reading tools available in the public domain (I'm using a completely
user-friendly, mouse & menu driven program to post this).  The idea is that
people will do what is easiest for them to do, so why don't we try to show
them how easy it is?

| Chris Dow                            | IntelliGenetics                      |
| Software Engineer                    | 700 East El Camino Real              |
| "My opinions are mine not theirs-->" | Mountain View, Ca. 94040             |
| AisA                                 | (415) 962-7320                       |
|                                      | internet: dow@presto.ig.com          |
|                                      | icbmnet: 37 22' 39" N, 122 3' 32" W  |

gilbertd@amber.ucs.indiana.edu (03/18/90)

In article <Mar.14.22.45.46.1990.16853@genbank.BIO.NET>,
kristoff@genbank.BIO.NET (David Kristofferson) writes...
>... there now is a version of USENET news software
>which runs on a Mac, but I haven't seen it yet and so cannot comment
>on its ease of use. (Doug, care to join in?)  If it is a class job,
>maybe this need has been or is about to be filled.

I've recently posted to the bionet.software newsgroup brief guides to
obtaining and installing the Macintosh netnews reader stack and
VMS-Vax newsreader software.  The Mac news reader is pretty easy to use.
The VMS newsreader VNews is somewhat more obscure, but works well.

While established scientists may be slow at picking up on network
news, undergrad and grad students are quick (and eager) to use it -- mainly
for social/sports/talk/alternate news and of course, rec.humor.funny.  If you
wait an academic generation (5-10 years), you'll have no lack of news
users.

If anyone wants mailings of the guides I posted to bionet.software (BIO-
SOFT ? for mail newsgroups) or a repost to this group, let me know.
	-- Don

Don Gilbert,  biocomputing office, Indiana U.
gilbertd@iubio.bio.indiana.edu

kristoff@genbank.BIO.NET (David Kristofferson) (03/20/90)

> While established scientists may be slow at picking up on network
> news, undergrad and grad students are quick (and eager) to use it -- mainly
> for social/sports/talk/alternate news and of course, rec.humor.funny.  If you
> wait an academic generation (5-10 years), you'll have no lack of news
> users.

Don,

I have already been contacted by one influential person who complained
that the "established scientists" don't use electronic communications
because there is nothing there for them to get excited about (I'll
address this *serious* concern below).  Now their attitude will be
reinforced by a further argument that their workers will be wasting
their time reading rec.humor.funny instead of keeping their noses to
the grindstone.

Because of the above, it needs to be pointed out that any USENET site
can RESTRICT THEIR RECEIPT OF NEWSGROUPS to only those that are
desired.  For example, only the bionet.* groups, or even just a subset
of those, could be received.  Frankly, at the risk of angering the
laboring masses who might enjoy a joke to lighten their loads now and
then, my personal opinion is that most of the other groups, e.g.,
alt.* rec.*, except for the comp (computer) groups, are mostly a waste
of time and disk space (although I am sure that some cynics will say
the same thing about the bionet groups 8-)!  The bottom line is that
the workers need not be distracted from their labors by trivia.

Assuming that this issue has been defrayed, I'd like to address the
content issue which was raised by the anonymous source above.  We have
been working on raising the content level gradually over the last
several years (witness the journal Table of Contents postings on
bionet.journals.contents, NIH Guide on bionet.sci-resources,
discussion of database issues on bionet.molbio.genbank, distribution
of database updates onbionet.molbio.genbank.updates).  Requests for
methods or reagents may seem "contentless" to most scientists excpet
when THEY need something 8-) but I have received numerous
complimentary notes about the utility of the METHODS group
(bionet.molbio.meths-reagnts).  Also, although this is not directly
related to newsgroups as such, another reason to learn something about
electronic communications is to make use of the free database
searching services available by e-mail from GenBank as outlined in my
earlier message.

The final catch is that this is a "chicken and egg" problem to some
extent.  There *will* be content in the scientific discussions if the
people who can provide the content participate.  We have worked hard
over the last four years to set up some very useful tools.  You, the
established scientists, now have before you the choice to either
utilize them or leave them to the next generation as Don indicates
above.

Let's look in greater depth at what I believe is the real issue among
established scientists.  These people are extremely busy.  They don't
want to spend their time learning a new way to communicate unless they
can see obvious benefits.  Unfortunately most of them do not seem to
me to realize how much they *could* benefit from this system.  An
example in point: During one trip to Washington quite some time back,
I met with a senior editor of a prominent journal to discuss use of
BIONET and a couple of hours working with him.  This person was
relatively new to computing and was struggling with some of the usual
pitfalls with getting modems hooked up, etc.  However, he **had
decided to invest the time** and had become very enthusiastic about
all the possibilities in a very short time.

In fact his secretary told me that he went out, bought a typing tutor
program (PROBABLY ONE OF THE BIGGEST UNSPOKEN HURDLES - BLUSH!!), and
now was faster than she was!!!!  The person that I am speaking about
is not in his twenties either.  I am sure that similar stories could
be told about other "established scientists" and will be in time.

Failing that we will once again witness the fulfillment of Max
Planck's dictum that new ideas take hold only as their older opponents
die off, not through rational debate.

I sincerely hope that informatics progress for the Genome Project is
not encumbered by such hesitations.