[bionet.molbio.genome-program] A bulletin board for chromosome 22

mjb1@mbcr.cam.ac.uk (Martin Bishop) (11/07/90)

The proposal to set up a bulletin board for human chromosome 22 is interesting.
This would provide a more continuous form of interaction than the single
chromosome workshops which are being funded by various agencies.
My worry is that there are 24 human chromosomes and that we may be asked to
vote on each one separately according to whether the chromosome chairperson
is a bulletin board user or not.
Would it not be best to get a consensus from human chromosome chairs as to
having a single board for all chromosomes or 24 boards and voting
once on the lot?

kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) (11/07/90)

> Would it not be best to get a consensus from human chromosome chairs as to
> having a single board for all chromosomes or 24 boards and voting
> once on the lot?

Martin,

BIOSCI is only responding to proposals that we receive.  It is not in
our charter to orchestrate these types of issues.  However I intend to
agree with the other responder to your posting that the delay involved
in trying to get universal coordination here would probably be
prohibitive.  The chromosome 22 newsgroup will be interesting if for
no other reason than to see if researchers in that area adopt this
mode of communication.  If it is successful, then a larger effort
involving other chromosomes might be warranted.  I don't see this
becoming a tower of Babel overnight at the rate these things typically
evolve.

I will also point out that BIOSCI has maintained the
GENOMIC-ORGANIZATION newsgroup (GENE-ORG on BITNET/EARN and
bionet.molbio.gene-org on USENET) for quite some time.  I have
occasionally been inclined to suggest that we shut that group down due
to lack of use, but have refrained from doing so under the hope that
it could be used as a general group such as you suggested.  At one
point I almost thought I had a couple of well-qualified moderators for
it but that dried up unfortunately.  I also suggested this to the
Chromosome 22 folks, but they had enough people in their circle that
they wanted to have a more specific newsgroup.

Up until recently I was under the impression that the BIOSCI
newsgroups were more useful from the standpoint of sharing
experimental methods than for discussing scientific concepts, but I am
happy to have been proven wrong by the population biology community on
POPULATION-BIOLOGY (POP-BIO, bionet.population-bio).  This group has
been very active for the last month now after a "critical mass" was
finally achieved.  The result has been very impressive.  Given
sufficient patience, I remain optimistic that the same thing will
happen on these other genome-related groups.

Consider this message, then, as an open invitation to workers
concentrating on other chromosomes to use the GENOMIC-ORGANIZATION
newsgroup if one wants to get up and running quickly.  However, if
other groups want to organize individual newsgroups, we will be happy
to put their proposals out to vote under our usual set of regulations.
--
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff@genbank.bio.net

overt@antony (Christian Overton) (11/07/90)

In article <mbua.7936.9011061700@uk.ac.cam.mbcr>, mjb1@mbcr (Martin Bishop) writes:
>The proposal to set up a bulletin board for human chromosome 22 is interesting.
>This would provide a more continuous form of interaction than the single
>chromosome workshops which are being funded by various agencies.
>My worry is that there are 24 human chromosomes and that we may be asked to
>vote on each one separately according to whether the chromosome chairperson
>is a bulletin board user or not.
>Would it not be best to get a consensus from human chromosome chairs as to
>having a single board for all chromosomes or 24 boards and voting
>once on the lot?

I am posting the following for Dr. Emanuel, Chairman for Chromosome 22:

A group of researchers working on chromosome 22 met last April at a Chromosome 22
workshop.  It was decided by that group that some sort of newsletter would be
quite useful.  The biggest problem with such a newsletter was how to circulate it
to interested parties, and there really was not a volunteer for that effort.  An
electronic bulletin board would serve that purpose and would not require that
someone take the total responsibility for disseminating the information.  I
think that if the other single chromosome communities want to start such a
bulletin board it would be reasonable.  This would be a place to pass out
information regarding STS development, mapping information etc.  It might not be
terribly useful to get all chromosomes on the same bulletin board.  Also, if we
wait until all of the chromosome chairs sign on, it might take too long to get it
up and running.  I would like to see some get started and see what kind of usage
they get and how useful they are perceived as being.

			Beverly S. Emanuel,
			Chairman for Chromosome 22

| G. Christian Overton                        || Telephone: (215) 648-2420      |
| Center for Advanced Information Technology  || Internet: overt@prc.unisys.com |
| Unisys                                      || FAX: (215) 648-2288            |