From: gennaro@athena.mit.edu (Rosario Gennaro)
Subject: Final UEFA cup: the report (unbiased?)
Sender: news@athena.mit.edu (News system)
Date: Wed, 22 May 91 22:47:09 GMT

Hello everyone!

INTERNAZIONALE F.C. from Milano won the first UEFA cup of its prestigious
history. In spite of loosing the second leg of the final for 1-0 to Roma
they won the cup thanks to the success in the first leg for 2-0.
With this success INTER finish in triumph a very good season that had only
in the exceptional performance of Sampdoria an explanation for not winning
the league.

The game wasn't great. But for me was a pleasure to see it (6 months without
soccer why i never went there?). It was a very nervous game but in some part
we saw nice plays and good actions. Too few after all.
I think Roma played the the game in the worst way possible. They were very
nervous and never played with clear mind. Furthermore they made a lot of
faults helping INTER in their trying to lose time with scenes and free kicks.
I think INTER defense was great, they kept the game under control for all the
first half and only in the second half when Bianchi ( Roma coach) put Salsano
in something went wrong in the defensive shemes of INTER and the anti-move of
Trapattoni (INTER coach) i.e. Mandorlini for Pizzi didn't work greatly even
because Pizzi was doing very well bringing the ball far from the INTER area.
Besides Roma wasted most of the occasions they had with bad shots, and in any
case Zenga was always there to save the situation. BTW INTER played zone!!!
INTER was dangerous in some occasions with fast "contropiede" but it seemed
that INTER was more interested in not getting a goal than in scoring one
(something wrong with that? they scored 2 in the first leg after all!).
I didn't see the first leg of the final (alas!) but i think that INTER
deserved to win this cup since Roma didn't show much superiority today and
INTER is reported to have played very well 2 weeks ago and even today (even
if only defensively).

A little comment about stupidity: right after Rizzitelli scored for Roma
with 10 minutes left, objects started falling on the pitch from Roma fans!!!
INTER players were hit by them during the game and after during the ceremony.
That was sad. I hope nothing is happening now on Roma streets.
(addenda: A friend here at MIT informed me about this:
According to the BBC, Inter and Roma fans fought pitted battles in the streets
after the game. 20 were injured including 7 coppers.
He argue that UEFA will do something about that, but it seems to me that
UEFA has no power on what happens outside the stadiums, can they ban teams or
sanction them for incidents outside the stadiums?)

A little more details:

Roma - INTER 1-0

Rizzitelli 80'

No line-up sorry, the RAI-USA connected when the game was already started.
I could give INTER one but i think it's unfair :)

Rome held the possesion of the ball for most of the time except for a period
around the middle of the first half when INTER organized lot of good actions.
In the first half Roma wasn't very dangerous. Zenga touched the ball only at
the 42nd minute (!) for the first time. INTER defense did a very good job and
as I said Pizzi was able to push the game far from the area
In the second half the entrance of Salsano in the Roma bropught a little more
fantasy in the plays of Roma. Roma started pushing more and INTER defense
was in trouble more than once, but Zenga was always great except at the 17'
when he didn't stopped the ball but Berthold sent it off :) this was the
best opportunity for Rome. The entrance of Mandorlini moved INTER back and
this helped Rome in taking possession of the game more.

[...]

well at the end in xerox copy of an action i think i saw in the game a lot
of times, Rizzitelli was able to score from the left of the goal.
Zenga was faultless in that occasion

Warned: Tempestilli (R) 35' for many repeated faults on Klinsmann
        Klinsmann   (I) 76' for hitting someone (sorry!)
        Bianchi     (I) 81' for not respecting the distance on a free kick

Substitutions: 57' Salsano for Tempestilli (R)
               66' Mandorlini for Pizzi (I)
               68' Muzzi for Desideri (R)

I saw very well: all the INTER defense, Zenga and Pizzi; in the Rome Salsano
and Rizzitelli and Voeller. About Salsano, i think this player is great but
he doesn't get the right appreciation he deserves. Last year he was the
best player for Sampdoria in the final of CWC and then he was sold to Rome.
In Rome he doesn't play as a starter. I don't understand that.

Comment about Italian National team:
i don't see why Pagliuca (Sampdoria goalie) should go to
the National when we have a great goalie like Zenga. I think he is still
young and he should have the #12 in Italy and be ready to take over after
Zenga will leave or will not be reliable (i think Zenga is 32). But not
right now. The INTER defense block seems still good for the National too.
My friend Reiko from Japan (she LOVES soccer) said: "I think INTER defense is
VERY good!", so I do too and so Vicini should think too.

Comment about English teams:
why do you think it's impressing that English teams win so easily Eurocups?
I think the reason is very easy, it's not that they are better or stronger.
If it was so even the National should be good.
I think the reason is that their league season is less stressful than
Italian or Spanish one. This without taking anything off from the good
performance of Manchester Utd in the last CWC.

Well now let me rejoy and go to celebrate (I don't have any joy left now :( )
INTER is Europe Champion :)
Why this happened when i was in the US and not in Italy so i could make fun of
all my friends supporting Milan and Juve?

Ciao
     Rosario