[rec.aquaria] Feeding Catfish

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (01/17/90)

In article <1990Jan16.060658.8570@agate.berkeley.edu> link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) writes:

>>The only pleco like fish I know
>>that stays small is Peckolia vittatus (or affinis, too, I guess)
>
>Aha! That's it. The Tetra Press book identified the fish as a Peckolia.
>The photo in Tetra Press is evidently the same fish described as a
>Pterygoplichthys in Riehl/Baensch.

Thats a wierd mistake to make. The Pterygoplichthys is a large
fish, chocolate brown with largish black spots. The Peckolia
is chocolate brown with cream stripes.

I recall seeing more than a few mislabeled fish in Baensch; this is
probably one of them.

link@soup.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) (01/17/90)

In article <24838@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <1990Jan16.060658.8570@agate.berkeley.edu> link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) writes:
>>
>>>The only pleco like fish I know
>>>that stays small is Peckolia vittatus (or affinis, too, I guess)
>>
>>Aha! That's it. The Tetra Press book identified the fish as a Peckolia.
>>The photo in Tetra Press is evidently the same fish described as a
>>Pterygoplichthys in Riehl/Baensch.
>
>Thats a wierd mistake to make. The Pterygoplichthys is a large
>fish, chocolate brown with largish black spots. The Peckolia
>is chocolate brown with cream stripes.
>
>I recall seeing more than a few mislabeled fish in Baensch; this is
>probably one of them.

It's the other way around - the Tetra book is mislabeled.
The one in Baensch is the one I've got, and it's big.

Richard Link
Space Sciences Laboratory