[rec.aquaria] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: REC.PETS, REC.BIRDS division.

winders@aux.support.apple.com (Scott Winders) (08/09/90)

In article <1918@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike
Mahler) writes:

>         This article is the beginning of a discussion of:
>
>         1)      What groups should be spawned from rec.pets;
>
>         2)      What rec.birds should be renamed to since there
>                 will most likely be a rec.pets.birds.

I think that rec.pets should at least have a subgroup called
rec.pets.dogs.  It may also make sense to have rec.pets.cats and
rec.pets.misc.

Scott Winders
internet: winders@aux.support.apple.com
AppleLink: winders.s@applelink.apple.com

bob@delphi.uchicago.edu (Robert S. Lewis, Jr.) (08/09/90)

Mahler) writes:

>         This article is the beginning of a discussion of:
>
>         1)      What groups should be spawned from rec.pets;
>
>         2)      What rec.birds should be renamed to since there
>                 will most likely be a rec.pets.birds.

Why not rec.birds.wild?  I don't think the sci.ornithology heading
suggested earlier would be a good one, since I don't think we want to
discourage amateur birders.

Rob Lewis

wolfd@microsoft.UUCP (Wolf DUBY) (08/09/90)

Indeed, let's split up rec.pets.  But certainly Cat, Dog, and Bird
categories will not be sufficient to cover the range of interests.
We'll need a separate group for those, plus one for Hamsters, another
for Guinea Pigs, one for each type of Snake; and let's not forget
Horses.  Sure, we have rec.equestrian already, but we should
ceratinly have a separate group for people who keep Horses and
don't ride them.
   For that matter, it seems a good idea to have separate groups for
people who own small, medium, and large Dogs, and further divide
these for people who show Dogs and those who don't.  The ideal
would be to have two newsgroups for each breed--but let's be realistic :-)

For any newsgroup to cover a broad range of topics is unthinkable!
Folks might be informed about some aspect of their interest of which
they were unaware or--worse--they might wear out the N (or whatever)
key on their keyboards from having to bypass shamelessly uninteresting
articles.

Yes, by all means--more newsgroups.

Just imagine all the opportunities for cross-posting!

grp@unify.uucp (Greg Pasquariello) (08/10/90)

>   In article <1918@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike
>   Mahler) writes:
>   >
>   >         This article is the beginning of a discussion of:
>   >
>   >         1)      What groups should be spawned from rec.pets;
>   >
>   >         2)      What rec.birds should be renamed to since there
>   >                 will most likely be a rec.pets.birds.
>   >

How about rec.birding?
--

-Greg Pasquariello	grp@unify.com

plemmons@nsf1.mth.msu.edu (Steve Plemmons) (08/10/90)

In article <56425@microsoft.UUCP> wolfd@microsoft.UUCP (Wolf DUBY) writes:
>Indeed, let's split up rec.pets.  But certainly Cat, Dog, and Bird
>categories will not be sufficient to cover the range of interests.
>We'll need a separate group for those, plus one for Hamsters, another
>for Guinea Pigs, one for each type of Snake; and let's not forget
>Horses.  Sure, we have rec.equestrian already, but we should
>ceratinly have a separate group for people who keep Horses and
>don't ride them.
>   For that matter, it seems a good idea to have separate groups for
>people who own small, medium, and large Dogs, and further divide
>these for people who show Dogs and those who don't.  The ideal
>would be to have two newsgroups for each breed--but let's be realistic :-)
>
>For any newsgroup to cover a broad range of topics is unthinkable!
>Folks might be informed about some aspect of their interest of which
>they were unaware or--worse--they might wear out the N (or whatever)
>key on their keyboards from having to bypass shamelessly uninteresting
>articles.
>
>Yes, by all means--more newsgroups.
>
>Just imagine all the opportunities for cross-posting!

Yes! Yes! Yes!  I think he's got it!  I know my 'n' and 'k' keys are
wearing out very fast due to the unbearable amount of traffic on this
net.  I think I'm getting arthritis in my index and middle finger of my
right hand!

Steve Plemmons                      plemmons@mth.msu.edu
Math Department                     plemmons@frith.egr.msu.edu
Michigan State University           21144smp@msu.bitnet

misan@ra.abo.fi (Annika Forsten DC) (08/11/90)

In article <GRP.90Aug9151425@magpie.unify.uucp> grp@unify.uucp (Greg Pasquariello) writes:

   >   >         This article is the beginning of a discussion of:
   >   >
   >   >         1)      What groups should be spawned from rec.pets;
   >   >
   >   >         2)      What rec.birds should be renamed to since there
   >   >                 will most likely be a rec.pets.birds.
   >   >

>   How about rec.birding?

Yes, much better than birdwatching. Apart from being shorter, it conveys
the meaning that we are pursuing an intrest, not just watching the
winged creatures. Birding is a hobby, birdwatching is just a general term
for looking at a bird.

Let's not change the groupname to include all wildlife. Why not create
a wildlife group anyway, but not by dropping rec.birds.

Annika Forsten, Finland