[alt.exotic-music] Request for Info

hicksm@spock (Michael Hicks) (12/15/89)

Hi,

I'd be interested in any sources of information on algorythmic composition.
I'm thinking of developing/implementing some schemes of my own and now that
I am at the beginning,  I'd like to see how other people do it.   Any per-
sonnal experiences would be great to hear about as well.   It seems to be
a pretty facsinating subject,  looking from the outside:  its about issues
of control verus letting go,  about constraints and complexity.   I would
enjoy reading about any discussion on the subject.  Thanks.

						Michael Hicks

	hicksm@spock.ame.arizona.edu

nsj@Apple.COM (Neal Johnson) (12/20/89)

Try to find an article by Xenakis on computer programs for
generating stochastic based music. This is rather old because
the program examples are in FORTRAN 2! I have a copy of it
if you have a hard time finding it. I think there is a book
by Xenakis which has the article. Also check out the Book(s)
by Allen Forte who has been doing research in coming up with
a musical grammer - ripe for programming!! I don't know the
name of this book either (some help I am), but I do know
that he did publish some articles.

You can mail me at nsj@apple.COM

- neal

gene@ntvax.uucp (Gene De Lisa) (12/22/89)

In article <37406@apple.Apple.COM> nsj@Apple.COM (Neal Johnson) writes:
>Try to find an article by Xenakis on computer programs for
>generating stochastic based music. This is rather old because
>the program examples are in FORTRAN 2! I have a copy of it
>if you have a hard time finding it. I think there is a book
>by Xenakis which has the article.

Xenakis, Formalized Music (1969 IU Press translation from the french original)

--
Gene De Lisa
gene@dept.csci.unt.edu

You really don't need a clever quote here.

baxter@disk.UUCP (Jeff Baxter) (12/27/89)

In article <1276@amethyst.math.arizona.edu> hicksm@spock (Michael Hicks) writes:

>I'd be interested in any sources of information on algorythmic composition.

  Mike,
        I enjoy being a musician, I also work as a salesman in a music store
  in Louisville, Kentucky.  Can you please fill me in on "algorythmic composi-
  tion"?  I would like to know what that is all about.  Also, if anyone out
  there could MAIL me some info, please do so!

                     Thanks again!

--
  Jeff Baxter
  baxter@disk.UUCP  or  uunet!ukma!corpane!disk!baxter