[comp.groupware] Information Lens references

kgrant@.com (Ken Grant) (01/09/90)

In article <90007.095243UH2@PSUVM.BITNET> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:

>Would someone offer a summary of the Information Lens, and perhaps a
>good reference or two?  Thanks.
>
>                               lee

This will be a pretty terse summary (I'm busy today) - I can
supply more details later if there is interest.

The Information Lens project at MIT started from the realization that
members of mature electronic mail communities often suffer from
information overload.  It is easy to join a few distribution lists and
be overwhelmed by the mail traffic.  We thought it would be nice if your mail
system could help you by sorting, prioritizing, and otherwise
processing your mail.

In I.Lens messages are actually instantiated objects with a type.
A message type inherits attributes and so on from its ancestors.  The
messages are presented to the user (and mail transport) as
semi-structured text.  At the root of the message tree there is the
type Message, which has fields/attributes such as To, From, Subject,
and so forth.  A specialized message type, such as Meeting
Announcement, inherits the standard header fields from Message, some
fields from Announcement (such as an Expiration Date), and then adds
fields for things like Meeting Time, Meeting Place, and so on.
A user can customize default and alternative values for each field,
and message construction is facilitated through the use of a
template-oriented message editor.  Users can also create new message
types to facilitate their work.  Thus, a special flavor of Meeting
Announcement is the Lens Group Meeting Announcement, which has
suitable defaults for the where/when/what part of the Meeting Announcement.

On the receiving end, users are able to construct rules which process
their mail based on type, values of attributes, and so forth.
Messages from "the outside world" can always be classified as being of
type Message, and may be more finely classified if the user's rules so
specify.  The action part of the rule may specify that the message be
filed (into a hierarchical folder scheme), deleted, or even run an
arbitrary procedure.

By using their own message types and rules a group can create custom
applications.  For example, a scheduling application has a few special
message types, and some special rule processing to allow access to the
user's on-line calender. The second article referenced below speaks to
this notion.

Finally, the mail system allows messages to be marked as public (e.g.
I don't care who reads this).  Users can provide rules to the mail
service expressing their interests, and the system uses these rules to
find public messages that the user has not seen and which they've
expressed an interest in.

The following pair of articles are a good place to start, and should
be reasonably easy to get yer hands on:

 Malone, T.W., Grant, K.R., Turbak, F.A., Brobst, S.A., and Cohen, M.D.
  Intelligent information sharing systems, Communications of the ACM, 1987, 30,
  390-402.

 Malone, T.W., Grant, K.R., Lai, K.Y., Rao, R. and Rosenblitt, D.A.
  Semi-structured messages are surprisingly useful for computer supported
  coordination, ACM Transactions on Office Information Systems, 5, 115-131.
  (Reprinted in I. Greif (Ed.), Computer Supported Cooperative Work, Los Altos,
  CA: Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1988).

cheers,
kg
Internet: kgrant%oracle.com@apple.com
	  kgrant@oracle.com (if your mailer groks MX records)
UUCP:     ...{hplabs,apple,uunet}!oracle!kgrant
USMail:   Oracle Corporation, 20 Davis Dr, Belmont CA 94002