[comp.groupware] Meaning of CSCW?

crehta@tasu74.UUCP (Ran Ever-Hadani) (02/01/90)

A posting appeared in this newsgroup, describing in general
a way to arrange information, which may in the future replace
the current linearly written scientific papers.

The structure would give rise to a possible production of
dictionaries, encyclopediae, chronological charts etc. automatically.

Could anybody who saved it e-mail it to me?  Thanks.

-- Ran
Disclaimer: The above is to be attributed to me only, not to any organization.
Apology: Bad English.  E-mailed spelling and style corrections are welcome.

reggie@dinsdale.nm.paradyne.com (George W. Leach) (02/02/90)

In article <4609@nttmhs.ntt.JP> yam@nttmhs.ntt.jp (Toshihiko YAMAKAMI) writes:
>From article <3214@infmx.UUCP>, by billd@infmx.UUCP (William Daul):

>> A good book of readings is Computer-Supported Cooperative Work:
>>     A Book Of Readings  Edited by:  Irene Greif

>A very good book, which contains following contents:
>(a very wide range coverage since 1945!)

>// Last time, I posted a reference list, I receive a kind mail
>// to correct mistypings, Thanks for your time and consideration!

>==================

[References deleted]

        Here are some references on the pioneering work of Murray Turoff and
Starr Roxanne Hiltz in Computerized Conferencing.  The work described in some
of the references that were provided were perhaps inspired by these folks,
yet their work is constantly ignored!  A good example of this is the concept
of an Electronic Information Market!

%A Murray Turoff
%A Starr Roxanne Hiltz
%T Meeting through your computer
%J IEEE Spectrum
%D May 1977
%P 58-64

%A Starr Roxanne Hiltz
%A Murray Turoff
%T The Evolution of User Behavior in a Computerized Conferencing System
%J Communications of the ACM
%V 24
%N 11
%D November 1981
%P 739-751

%A Starr Roxanne Hiltz
%A Murray Turoff
%T Structuring Computer-Mediated Communication Systems to Avoid
%T Information Overload
%J Communications of the ACM
%V 28
%N 7
%D July 1985
%P 680-689

%A Starr Roxanne Hiltz
%T Impact of a Computerized Conferencing System upon use of other
%T Communication Modes
%J Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Computer Communication
%C London, England
%D 7-10 September 1982
%P 577-582

%A Starr Roxanne Hiltz
%A Murray Turoff
%A K. Johnson
%A C. Aronovitch
%T Equality, Dominance and Group Decision Making:
%T Results of a Controlled Experiment on Face to Face Vs. Computer
%T Mediated Discussions
%J Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Computer Communication
%C Atlanta, USA
%D 27-30 October 1980
%P 343-348

%A Starr Roxanne Hiltz
%A Murray Turoff
%T Applications and Impacts of Computerized Conferencing in the
%T Multi-National Organization
%J Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Computer Communication
%C Kyoto, Japan
%D 26-29 September 1978
%P 711-716

%A Murray Turoff
%A James Whitescarver
%A Starr Roxanne Hiltz
%T The Human Machine Interface in a Computerized Conferencing Environment
%J Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Systems,
%J Man, and Cybernetics
%D 1977
%P 145-157

%A Tom Featheringham
%T Teleconferences: the message is the meeting
%J Data Communications
%D July 1977
%P 37-41

%A Murray Turoff
%T An On-Line Intellectual Community or "MEMEX" Revisited
%V 10
%D 1977
%P 401-412

%A Tom Featheringham
%T Computerized Conferencing and Human Communication
%J IEEE Journal on Professional Communication
%V PC-30
%N 4
%D December 1977
%P 207-213

%A Starr Roxanne Hiltz
%T Impact of a Computerized Conferencing System upon Scientific
%T Research Specialties
%J Journal of Research Communication Studies
%V 1
%D 1978
%P 111-124

%A Murray Turoff
%A James Whitescarver
%A Alan Leurck
%A John Howell
%A Thomas Moulton
%A Bart Voyce
%A Sanjit Chinai
%T On The Design of an Information Marketplace
%J Proceedings of the 44th ASIS Annual Meeting
%V 18
%D 1981
%P 193-195

%A Miriam K. Mills
%T SMR Forum: Teleconferencing - Managing the "Invisible Worker"
%J Sloan Management Review
%D Summer 1984
%P 63-67

%A Murray Turoff
%T Interface Design in Computerized Conferencing Systems: A Personal View
%B Human Factors and Interactive Computer Systems
%B Proceedings of the NYU Symposium on User Interfaces
%E Yannis Vassiliou
%I Ablex Publishing Corporation, Norwood, New Jersey 07648
%D May 26-28 1982
%P 243-259

%A Starr Roxanne Hiltz
%T Experiments and Experiences with Computerized Conferencing
%B Emerging Office Systems
%B based on Proceedings of the Stanford University International
%B Symposium on Office Automation
%E Robert M. Landau
%E James H. Bair
%E Jean H. Siegman
%I Ablex Publishing Corporation, Norwood, New Jersey 07648
%D 1980
%P 187-204

%A Starr Roxanne Hiltz
%T The Human Element in Computerized Conferencing Systems
%J Computer Networks
%V 2
%D 1978
%P 421-428

%A Starr Roxanne Hiltz
%T Computer Conferencing: Assessing the Social Impact of a New
%T Communications Medium
%J Technological Forecasting and Social Change
%V 10
%D 1977
%P 225-238

%A Charlton R. Price
%T Conferencing via Computer: Cost Effective Communication for the
%T Era of Forced Choice
%B The Delphi Method: Techniques and Applications
%E Harold A. Linstone
%E Murray Turoff
%I Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Reading MA
%D 1975
%P 497-516

%A Murray Turoff
%T Management Issues in Human Communication Via Computer
%B Emerging Office Systems
%B based on Proceedings of the Stanford University International
%B Symposium on Office Automation
%E Robert M. Landau
%E James H. Bair
%E Jean H. Siegman
%I Ablex Publishing Corporation, Norwood, New Jersey 07648
%D 1980
%P 233-257

%A Murray Turoff
%T Information, Value and the Internal Marketplace
%J Technological Forecasting and Social Change
%V 27
%D 1985
%P 357-373

%A Murray Turoff
%A Sanjit Chinai
%T An Electronic Information Marketplace
%J Computer Networks and ISDN Systems
%V 9
%D 1985
%P 79-90

George W. Leach					AT&T Paradyne
(uunet|att)!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LG-133
Phone: 1-813-530-2376				P.O. Box 2826
FAX: 1-813-530-8224				Largo, FL 34649-2826 USA