[comp.groupware] Turoff and Hiltz

kgrant@.com (Ken Grant) (02/03/90)

In article <7313@pdn.paradyne.com> reggie@dinsdale.paradyne.com (George W. Leach) writes:
>        Here are some references on the pioneering work of Murray Turoff and
>Starr Roxanne Hiltz in Computerized Conferencing.  The work described in some
>of the references that were provided were perhaps inspired by these folks,
>yet their work is constantly ignored!

I assume that the sense of "ignored" here is "not widely cited" (or
perhaps "not well enough respected" ?).  It is certainly the case that
Turoff and Hiltz have been working on computer conferencing for a very
long time.  It seems impossible to work in the area without
encountering their work.  I've found most of their work to be
interesting enough, but I've also found myself in *violent*
disagreement with some of it.  When they published the '85 CACM
article that asserted "There is no such thing as information overload,
and even if there were you could walk down the hall and tell people
to stop" I nearly burst a vein.  However, disagreement and debate are
central to making intellectual progress...
cheers,
kg

Internet: kgrant%oracle.com@apple.com
	  kgrant@oracle.com (if your mailer groks MX records)
UUCP:     ...{hplabs,apple,uunet}!oracle!kgrant
USMail:   Oracle Corporation, 20 Davis Dr, Belmont CA 94002
AT&T:     (415) 598-4406