[comp.groupware] How to Improve Article Quality

stodol@diku.dk (David Stodolsky) (02/02/90)

(This info is a bit dated because our yearly system upgrade crashed news
reading, news posting, and news transport software.)

On 23 Jul 89 18:11:08 GMT in the first
Call for Discussion on Sci.groupware(.f), I wrote:

>First question to the Net after creation of sci.groupware:
>How can the quality of messages that one sees be improved?
(By this time it has become obvious the answer is - By reading comp.groupware
:-)

Events have outraced the administrative process on UseNet. While
comp.groupware has finally been created, the companion follow-ups group,
comp.groupware.f, that was destined to eventually carry evaluation or peer
review messages permitting "Mutual Moderation" has not. Details on the
situation will be posted shortly to comp.groupware/news.groups/news.admin.

The Mutual Moderation discussion I started is proceeding in
news.groups/news.admin. I will post further articles on this topic to
comp.groupware/news.groups/news.admin.

In the middle of, and in part in response to the problems with, the groupware
vote, allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) initiated the expnet.all
*net management and organization.). "Trying a self-moderating posting scheme"
is a line of discussion I am contributing to on that list, and crossposting to
comp.groupware. While the idea of Mutual Moderation is completely distributed
control in the selection of articles, the self-moderated posting scheme is
based upon a centralized moderation mechanism guided by the evaluations of
readers.

Finally, Dr. S. Harnad is taking over as Editor of the Bitnet Psychology
Newsletter. He wants to explore the potential of electronic publication for
"scholarly skywriting." For the moment, he will be operating the Newsletter as
a moderated list. The procedure for adding one's name automatically
to the list is to send mail to Listserv@tcsvm.bitnet (or @finhutc) with
SUB PSYCH Firstname Lastname on the first text line. To unsubscribe:
UNSUB PSYCH  (name not required)

--
David S. Stodolsky, PhD                Internet: david@harald.ruc.dk
Department of Psychology                       :      stodol@diku.dk

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (02/05/90)

As quoted from <1990Feb1.195158.18867@diku.dk> by stodol@diku.dk (David Stodolsky):
+---------------
| Events have outraced the administrative process on UseNet. While
| *net management and organization.). "Trying a self-moderating posting scheme"
+---------------

Expnet was becoming moribund when our former newsfeed (hal.cwru.edu) died and
knocked ncoast off the net; after we re-established the feed through
usenet.ins.cwru.edu, the expnet list received no messages.  I have a feeling
it's dead.  (My diagnosis:  lots of chat, not much real work on establishing
news connections to carry the proposed hierarchy.  I guess its time *still*
hasn't come.)

In any case, the headaches it caused me (seems that since I suggested it, I
was the one expected to lay out the connections that would make it work?) were
sufficient that I'm not sure I want to *run* any further attempts at it.  (I
am still willing to participate, but there aren't enough hours in the day for
me to become a pseudo-Spaf.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)