[comp.groupware] 7kHz Voice and ISDN

stodol@diku.dk (David Stodolsky) (02/10/90)

[Reposted from comp.dcom.telecom (TELECOM Digest)]

Date: 20 Dec 89 00:11:47 GMT
Sender: news@accuvax.nwu.edu

goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com in <2002@accuvax.nwu.edu> writes

>Funny you should ask.  Yes, there's a new ISDN 7 kHz audio bearer
>service.  It makes use of 64 kbps ADPCM encoding.

Mermelstein, P., (1988). G.722, A New CCITT Coding Standard for
Digital Transmission of Wideband Audio Signals (IEEE Communications
Magazine, v. 26, n. 1) describes a way to split audio input into two 4
khz bands using ADPCM coders. Audio data can be transmitted at 64, 56,
or 48 kbits, thus allowing simultaneous transmission of other data.
The system is targeted toward "audio- visual conferencing applications
where one would like to approach the quality of face-to-face
communication (p. 8)."

My interest, is not the improvement in audio quality, but the use of
data-speech multiplexing. This is projected in the article, for
speaker identification or fax on the established connection. One of
the major problems in teleconferencing is speaker selection, how to
decide on the next speaker without using the normal cues one has when
face-to-face. The Danish Telecommunication Research Labs. produced a
pre-ISDN prototype with separate lines for audio, and speaker id and
queuing data via modem, some years back.  It turned out to be too
complex for practical use. A version of my equal-time resolution rule
was programmed into that system (Stodolsky, D. (1987).  Dialogue
management program for the Apple II computer. _Behavior Research
Methods, Instruments, & Computers_, _19_, 483484.). This rule has been
show to yield benefits in both emotional tone and group performance in
controlled experiments.

I would like to see the rule applied in one of these new ISDN
conferencing systems, but its hard to get the attention of the
equipment suppliers on this point. They typically resort to
centralized control by a chairmen, without even the ability to run on
"auto pilot", where people queue themselves up by pressing a "request"
button or just by starting to talk with a voice-operated switch
"pressing" the button for them.

Central control of speakers was strongly disliked in the prototype
system. In fact, all units were eventually rebuilt, so each one could
be the "master" in a multi-unit conference. Chairmen management seemed
a bit clumsy, even when the queuing was automatic and the chair just
announced the name of the next speaker. From a psychological
standpoint, fully distributed control is the only way to go, and it is
quite feasible with ISDN, any takers?
--
David S. Stodolsky, PhD                Internet: david@harald.ruc.dk
Department of Psychology                       :      stodol@diku.dk