[comp.groupware] Re What is Groupware is what is difficult

stodol@diku.dk (David Stodolsky) (03/03/90)

yam@nttmhs.ntt.jp (Toshihiko YAMAKAMI) in Message-ID: <4438@nttmhs.ntt.JP>
writes:

>What is groupware depends what people think is difficult.
This definition will help *sell* groupware, but unless people *know* what is
difficult, it will not help them solve problems.

>I think we face four big problems in group communication.
I agree that these are problems, but does addressing them separately lead to
good solutions? Earlier C. Joycln suggested a "New tool for Philosophical
Discourse" was needed. Perhaps a middle range theory would be most appropriate.
Groupware includes tools, but it is used to build social systems. Failure to
appreciate this will lead to new high tech. toys, not real progress.

--
David S. Stodolsky, PhD                Internet: david@harald.ruc.dk
Department of Psychology                       :      stodol@diku.dk

yam@nttmhs.ntt.jp (Toshihiko YAMAKAMI) (03/05/90)

Dr. Stodolsky commented:
From article <1990Mar2.194019.27783@diku.dk>, by stodol@diku.dk (David Stodolsky):
> yam@nttmhs.ntt.jp (Toshihiko YAMAKAMI) in Message-ID: <4438@nttmhs.ntt.JP>
> writes:

>>I think we face four big problems in group communication.
> I agree that these are problems, but does addressing them separately lead to
> good solutions? Earlier C. Joycln suggested a "New tool for Philosophical
> Discourse" was needed. Perhaps a middle range theory would be most appropriate.
> Groupware includes tools, but it is used to build social systems. Failure to
> appreciate this will lead to new high tech. toys, not real progress.

I agree with you.
I would like to appreciate the combination of (1)problem solving in (mental)
cooperative enrironment, (2)computer support for collaboration,
(3) underlying (existing) computer/communication environment.
We need some harmonization in these three problem solving layers which
I think exist in this real world.

I discussed this problem in my papers entitled
 "Group Communication Parsing in Multi-User Seeheim Model"
	(submitted to IFIP WG8.4 Symposium onMulti-User Interfaces
         and Application)
 "Direct Manipulation in Group Communication"
	(submitted to CSCW'90)
I don't know whether they will be accepted or not until April 20(IFIP),
or May 14(CSCW90).
If there are those who are kindly interested in it,  let me know about
your interest on my manuscripts before March 10th.
I will send the manuscripts by some means.
( After the date, I will leave Japan and move to Bell Laboratories, U.S.A.,
 for my research stay.
 I would be very honored to be able to discuss many interesting topics with
 many people on comp.groupware in CHI'90, COIS'90, IFIP WG8.4
 Multi-User Interface Conference or in CSCW'90 or on this newsgroup again.
 Even my papers are not accepted, I will attend them :-) )

-- Toshihiko YAMAKAMI

Toshihiko YAMAKAMI				NTT, Japan
 Telephone:	+81-468-59-3781    FAX:	+81-468-59-2546
 junet:	yam@nttmhs.ntt.jp	   CSNET: yam%nttmhs.ntt.jp@relay.cs.net
 snail-mail:	Take 1-2356-523A, Yokosuka, Kanagawa 238-03 JAPAN