[comp.groupware] Book Review

davecb@yunexus.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) (03/06/90)

bannon@betelgeuse.csc.ti.com (Tom Bannon) writes:
>I am interested in the subject of the structure of groups and am wondering
>if there are any widely accepted models.  I am mainly interested in issues
>such as group strata (leadership, members, visitors/guests, etc.), group
>access rights (types, granularities), and hierarchies (or other organizations)
>of groups.  Models based in mathematics/graph theory would be nice but are
>not necessary.  If anyone has information regarding such I would appreciate
>references or other pointers.

	Well, I won't directly answer your question, but I will
note that

	"Distributed Group Communication, the AMIGO information model" Hugh
	Smith, Julian Onions and Steve Benford, Chichester (John Wiley &
	Sons/Ellis Horwood Limited), ISBN 0-7458-0741 and 0-470-21515-1.

is based on modelling of data objects and actors in group communication, is
relatively complete and intelligable, and discusses three pilot
implementations layered on top of the ISO message handling and directory
systems (although in some pilots these underlying facilities are simulated
by existing systems or the ISODE (:-)).

 	I can recommend the book: 188 pages and I skimmed it in an evening.
I'll be interested in seeing what their Advanced Group Communicatin group
comes up with...

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@yunexus, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave