[comp.groupware] pointers to augmentation of intellect literature

pevans@umd5.umd.edu (Peter Evans) (04/11/90)

I am currently writing a paper on augmentation/amplification of human
intelligence and am searching for sources of information and
discussion.  Emphasis will be on ways of understanding augmentation
and interaction.  I might focus in on hypertext and email as
examples of augmentation in communication.

I have had no difficulty identifying people (Bush, Engelbart,
Licklider, Nelson, and Kay) who wrote about these things many/several
years ago but have had difficulty finding materials providing overview
of the area written recently.

e.g. what is the current equivalent of Engelbart's "A conceptual
framework for the augmentation of mans's intellect"?

If people could post or email any pointers to the current literature I
would be grateful.

Thanks,
Peter Evans --------pevans@umd5.umd.edu---(301) 4545441--\         _--_|\
 Rm. 4105 Hornbake Library Building                        \      /      \
 College of Library and Information Services                 \    \_.--._/
 University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 20742---------------\--------v---

briscoe-duke@CS.YALE.EDU (Duke Briscoe) (04/11/90)

One article I found very readable and interesting was "The Next
Knowledge Medium" by Mark Stefik, in The AI Magazine vol. 7 no. 1,
Spring 1986.  AI Magazine is the official publication of the American
Association for Artificial Intelligence.  Stefik discusses the
potential for standardizing knowledge representation, creating an
interoperable knowledge medium, and the possibility of having
"knowledge markets, with mechanisms for distributing and renting
knowledge."

"Building a knowledge medium is a long-term goal, complementary to the
goal of building artificially intelligent agents.  Importantly, the
vision of a knowledge medium might be the more useful guide to
progress.  Like the agent goal, it is for the long term.  It stands on
other work in the larger field of computer science, such as work on
databases and network technology.  It rests on the same core work of
AI - on language understanding, knowledge representation, and
problem-solving."

Quotes above from Stefik.

Hypertext is related to knowledge representation, with an emphasis on
guiding a reader through the links of the representation, and
presenting the representation in a form similar to standard
literature.  Perhaps by the time we have substantial AI-type knowledge
bases, we will have the capacity to automatically generate good
hypertext presentations of the knowledge.

Duke

cvelotta@cipc1.Dayton.NCR.COM (Chris Velotta) (04/11/90)

In article <6378@umd5.umd.edu> pevans@umd5.umd.edu (Peter Evans) writes:

>e.g. what is the current equivalent of Engelbart's "A conceptual
>framework for the augmentation of mans's intellect"?

I don't know about the recent equivalent to this work, but there is an article
on this topic in the March/April 1990 issue of Electric Word pp. 20-25.  I
have found Electric Word to be very informative.  It deals with technical
communication, translation, and related technologies (among other things).
Here is their address:

     Emmalaan 21 - EW 18
     1075 AT Amsterdam
     The Netherlands

     Subscription Price (last time I checked): US $45/year for an individual
                                               US $95/year for a corporation

dwiggins@atsun.a-t.com (Don Dwiggins) (04/13/90)

In article <6378@umd5.umd.edu> pevans@umd5.umd.edu (Peter Evans) writes:

>e.g. what is the current equivalent of Engelbart's "A conceptual
>framework for the augmentation of mans's intellect"?

Engelbart is still active, concentrating now on the organizational impact of
augmentation technology and how to introduce and maintain it, a process he
calls "Bootstrapping".  For more information, you can contact:

Bootstrap Project
Sweet Hall 3rd Floor
Stanford, CA 94305-3090
(415)725-2985