* Internet:        cdp!consensus@arisia.xerox.com
* UUCP:            uunet!pyramid!cdp!consensus

:: topic "Electronic Networking Association" from America Online ::

Subj:  Electronic Networking Association     90-03-30 12:52:09 EDT
From:  AFL MacDev                            Msgs:  5 (90-05-29)

I will be attending the Electronic Networking Association's
conference "Collaboration in the Global 90's" on May 23-26 in San
Francisco (I may even be speaking).

Some of the interesting topics at the conference: COTechnologies
and Cross-Cultural Communications, Groupware: User Experiences and
Market Trends, Groupware & Teamware - Past, Present and Future,
Towards the Art of the Next Century: Cybermedia, Telecomputing, and
Global Perspectives, Moderating Online, Leading and Community
Building, SYSOPS: Slaves and Leaders, Online Ethics: Exploring New
Dilemnas.  There are ALOT more topics.

The conference is $400 before 4/15, $450 after 4/15 for non-ENA
members.  For information contact the Electronic Networking
Association, Attn: Nan Hanahue, 2744 Washington St., Allentown, PA
18104, (215) 821-7777.

Chris Allen - AFL MacDev

Subj:  What is ENA?                          90-03-30 13:00:25 EDT
From:  AFL MacDev

From their brochure:

The Electronic Networking Association (ENA) was founded in 1985 by
pioneers in the computer conferencing with an emphasis on
interactive group communications. Perhaps more than any other
organization, ENA blends technology, human factors, organization
dynamics, and values in its approach to computer-mediated
communications.

Today as our technical base is broadening to other groupware,
multimedia,, and telecommunications applications, our knowledge of
human and organizational processes for online groupwork in
deepening. ENA offers broad exposure to the total context of
computer mediated communications and groupware.

ENA believes that the demands of the 21st century will not be met
without global electronic access to complex information, human
expertise, and personal relationships.

ENA's monthly newsletter, The Netweaver, was honored as the
nations's best electronic publication by the Computer Press
Association in 1987.  ENA's membership of several hundred spans the
globe.  Its activities are largely organized and carried out
online.

Join now and receive a discount for face-to-face conferences and
notification of future events and online activities.

ENA Membership Dues:

            Professional   General
    Join             $50   $20
    Renew            $50   $20
    Upgrade          $30   n/a

For information contact the Electronic Networking Association,
Attn: Nan Hanahue, 2744 Washington St., Allentown, PA 18104, (215)
821-7777.

Subj:  ENA conference in San Francisco       90-04-02 18:18:45 EDT
From:  TSherman

I've been to all of the ENA conferences since the organization was
founded in 1985.  Although the earlier meetings have been great --
lively, informal, thought provoking -- this one looks like it'll be
the best yet.  Of course I'm helping put together some of the
sessions -- on nonprofit/public interest activities online -- so I
may be a wee bit biased <grin>.

Tom

Subj:  Caruso's Column on ENA                90-05-06 15:55:47 EDT
From:  AFL MacDev                            Msgs:  3 (90-05-06)

:: recieved via mail ::

Date:  90-05-06 07:19:59 EDT From:  MChambers Subj:  Denise
Caruso's Sunday column To:    AFL MacDev

Chris,

In case you didn't see it and in order for you to mail it to
others, here is a copy of Denise's column for today.

Margaret Chambers, ENA

San Francisco Examiner, Sunday, May 6, l990 (5k) GLOBAL NETWORKS
THE NEXT BIG "IT" by Denise Caruso in her weekly column "Inside
Technology"

Sometimes in the electronic business, all of a sudden a lot of
people are talking about the same thing at the same time, and they
all say the "Something Really Big" is going to happen right away.

Such talk is often a consensual hallucination, a domino effect
caused by people with wild imaginations bouncing off each other's
brain cells.  For example, it's been "The Year of the LAN (local-
area network) at least since 1983.  And I remember InfoWorld
publishing a cover story on optical disk storage in l984.  Both
those technologies are just now beginning to gain popularity.

Although this same domino phenomenon may be true in the world of
on-line services and electronic mail,  there are growing numbers of
personal computer visionaries who think local and global electronic
networks are the next big "it."  (I do too.)

In almost every public appearance for the past year, for example
deposed Apple Product president Jean-Louis Gassee has stressed that
he believes global telecommunications and databases are the two big
growth industries for the next decades.

Mitch Kapor,  founder of Lotus Development and more recently of
ONTechnologies in Cambridge, has become an on-line fiend and now
runs the "Software Design Conference" on the Sausalito-based WELL
teleconferencing system and participates on MetaNet, a
teleconferencing system run by the Metasystems Design Group in
Arlington, VA.

And Steve Jobs of NeXT Computer makes it abundantly clear that the
next wave in the computer business--he calls it "interpersonal
computing"--is all about sophisticated electronic communication.

"The electronic organization adapts extremely fast to the tasks
that need to be done by the organization, much faster than the
people-based organization," says Jobs, who also says NeXT's e-mail
system (which can send text, voice or graphics as part of a
message) has cut the number of meetings in half and vastly improved
the quality of decision-making. '(It's) about the most exciting
thing I've ever used a computer for."

Of course,  less famous people have been plugging away at
interactive group communication for years.  Academia, for example:
The New Jersey Institute of Technology's EIES teleconferencing
systems was built specially for that purpose.  And Metasystems
Design Group and Camber-Roth (Troy, NY) co-market the popular
Caucus teleconferencing systems used in many corporations,
universities and public and non-profit groups all around the world.

The benefits of group communications they've all passionately
believed in for years is the subject of a four-day conference
that's coming up in San Francisco Wednesday through Saturday,  May
23-26.  It's sponsored by the Electronic Networking Association
(ENA), a group founded in l985 by pioneers in computer conferencing
with an emphasis on interactive group communications.

The theme for this Fifth International Conference is "Collaboration
in the Global 90s", and may boost the discussion of global
teleconferencing to a new level--focusing on not only the
technology, but also on the human systems, impact on organizations,
and the global impact on economy, politics and the planet.

The program sounds great--conference coordinator Margaret Chambers
say that a whopping 225 people are already committed to make
presentations during the four-day marathon.

Douglas Engelbart, father of almost everything important in the
computer industry today (among them the electronic mouse,  multiple
windows, hypertext, integrated help systems,  full-scale electronic
mail systems and shared-screen teleconferencing) will attend a film
presentation on Wednesday night about his "Augmented Knowledge Work
Communities"  and will talk about his ideas.

Many of the 43 separate programs sound fascinating: "Tapping the
External Information Resource," led by Odd de Presno, a Norwegian
author and "modem globetrotter";  "Telecommuting:  the Promise
Unfulfilled," led by Charles Grantham, author of "Socializing the
Human-Computer Environment'; "Government Communications in the
Information Age"  with Wanda Carter of Hewlett-Packard and Ken
Phillips of the city of Santa Monica, which has pioneered a free
city-wide Caucus-based public network.

There's too much more to list here.  For my money,  the whole thing
sounds like great grey-matter stretching, and should be of interest
to anyone who want to get a grip on the future.  Call Chambers at
(415) 582-5830 for information.

----Denise is on MCI Mail(Denise Caruso), CompuServe (73037,52) or
CONNECT(Caruso).

Subj:  ENA conference                        90-05-29 22:08:04 EDT
From:  TonyScott

I just got back from my first ENA conference. I'd say some of Tom's
hopes were justified, it was on the whole a very worthwhile
experience: the few blemishes were only that (superficial
problems).

Now, is this (America Online) a place that's connected with the
ongoing ENA discussions? I ask as this is my first time 'here'...

tony scott

Subj:  ENA Online                            90-06-02 15:15:45 EDT
From:  AFL MacDev

Tony,

I too enjoyed the ENA Conference last week. Of course, anytime you
get lot of nice people interested in the same thing together you
will probably have a "happening."

We will be having a continuing discussion of groupware in this SIG,
and we will be sharing it with 'comp.groupware' on usenet.

The ENA have a 'ported' conference (i.e. it is on a number of
different systems) that they use for planning future conferences
and general in-between conference info.  Regretably, this
conference is not ported to America Online due to our Macintosh
interface.  I am hand-porting the 'comp.groupware' stuff as it
stands, and it is quite laborious.

However, I will be posting ENA announcements, press releases, and
other information here over the next year.

Chris Allen - AFL MacDev