[comp.groupware] Looking for a PC-based mail front-end for IBM PROFs

taylord@spock (Don Taylor) (08/11/90)

Does anyone know if there exists a PC-based mail front end for IBM's PROFs
system?  It would retrieve and post mail automatically to (through) PROFs
by pretending to be a 3270 terminal connection, provide a user-friendly
interface and some local (ie PC) message filing.

Please respond by e-mail to the address below as I do not read these
newsgroups systematically.

Thanks in advance,

Don.--
Don Taylor (613)-592-2122 x 3007	 mitel!taylord@uunet.uu.net
Mitel Corp.				 ...!uunet!mitel!taylord
350 Legget Drive, Kanata
Ontario, Canada, K2K 1X3

paolo@sixcom.sixcom.it (Paolo Crini) (08/13/90)

In article <4116@taylord> taylord@spock (Don Taylor) writes:
>Does anyone know if there exists a PC-based mail front end for IBM's PROFs
>system?  It would retrieve and post mail automatically to (through) PROFs
>by pretending to be a 3270 terminal connection, provide a user-friendly
>interface and some local (ie PC) message filing.
>
>Please respond by e-mail to the address below as I do not read these
>newsgroups systematically.

I'm interested too. Ples let me know or post replies.
Thanks!

--
  * Paolo Crini    | E-mail: paolo@sixcom.UUCP paolo@sixcom.it          *
  | Sixcom S.p.A.  |         ...!Italy.EU.net!sixcom!paolo              |

dboyes@rice.edu (David Boyes) (08/18/90)

In article <4116@taylord> taylord@spock (Don Taylor) writes:
>Does anyone know if there exists a PC-based mail front end for IBM's PROFs
>system?  It would retrieve and post mail automatically to (through) PROFs
>by pretending to be a 3270 terminal connection, provide a user-friendly
>interface and some local (ie PC) message filing.

PC/PROFS, available from your local IBM rep. If PROFS turns you
on, it's not bad, esp. if your word processor understands DCA and
the mainframe has DISOSS up.

>Don Taylor (613)-592-2122 x 3007	 mitel!taylord@uunet.uu.net

--
David Boyes       |  "Where's the ka-boom? There's supposed to be an
dboyes@rice.edu   |  Earth-shattering ka-boom!...Heavens! Someone has
                  |  stolen the Illudium Q-38 Explosive Space Modulator!
"Delays, delays!" |  The Earth creature has *stolen* the Space Modulator!"

terry@wolves.uucp (Terry L Parker) (08/19/90)

While I was working in R&D for EDS seven years ago, we worked mainly on
developing a front-end for PROFS that ran on a PC with an IRMA card
or a 3270 PC.  I have yet to see any commercial type of product, the one
we were working on (and had working quite succesfully) was for EDS
internal use only at the time, but you might contact them to see if they've
gone commercial with it.  I'd call the EDS office in Lansing, Michigan.

cyoes@wilkins.iaims.bcm.tmc.edu (Cissy Yoes) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug13.115215.2962@sixcom.sixcom.it>,
paolo@sixcom.sixcom.it (Paolo Crini) writes:
|> In article <4116@taylord> taylord@spock (Don Taylor) writes:
|> >Does anyone know if there exists a PC-based mail front end for IBM's PROFs
|> >system?  It would retrieve and post mail automatically to (through) PROFs
|> >by pretending to be a 3270 terminal connection, provide a user-friendly
|> >interface and some local (ie PC) message filing.
|> >
|> >Please respond by e-mail to the address below as I do not read these
|> >newsgroups systematically.
|>
|> I'm interested too. Ples let me know or post replies.
|> Thanks!
|>
|> --
|>   * Paolo Crini    | E-mail: paolo@sixcom.UUCP paolo@sixcom.it          *
|>   | Sixcom S.p.A.  |         ...!Italy.EU.net!sixcom!paolo              |
|>   * Milano-Italy   | Voice:  +39 (2) 3192.403,   Fax:  +39 (2) 33603112 *

Me, too!  If someone knows of something, please post on this bulletin board.

I do know that The Coordinator by Action Technologies is suppose to work as
a front end for PROFs, but it an expensive and comprehensive communication
package that requires quite a committment.

Cissy Yoes
Information Technology Program
Baylor College of Medicine
cyoes@bcm.tmc.edu