From: riesermc@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Michael Rieser)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
Subject: Request for options/features for an X-Reminder program.
Date: 31 Aug 90 08:58:19 GMT

Every semester at Purdue cs404 (Software Engineering) picks a (1) project
to do.  This semester a Reminder program was chosen to run in conjunction
with XCalendar.  The program is suppose to be what all previous attempts
haven't been.  Our requirements are that it be efficient, highly configurable,
expandable, well documented, and finished on time.

Its supposed to be smart, easy to use, and secure.  It should have the
ability to remind you of things minutes/days/years in advance.
examples:
	I have to leave in five minutes.
	Tell me (every year) 2 days before my wedding anniversary to buy
	  a present for my wife.
	Tell me every day from the beginning of the month to pay rent
	  until I tell you to stop, or until the 10th.
	(suggestions?)

Its suppose to have a variety of ways of notifying you:
	xmessage, mail, tty, ... (suggestions?)

It may also be used for groupware, possibly allowing other users to
schedule an appointment with/without your knowledge.

Basically this thing is to be as useful as possible to as many people as
possible.  The software once finished will be in the public domain.

So, if you have wanted a program like this one.  This is your chance to
request features.  Please no flames about something else being 'good
enough,' this is for a grade (out group must turn in a project).  In my
mind, if I'm going to do this thing, I want to make it worth doing. So
if you have any interest in a program like this one, give some specs
on what you would like it to do, and we'll attempt to satisfy as many
as we can and still finish on time.

If you know of code fragments (or whole programs) that are public domain,
or which can legally and ethically be used by us, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Mike Rieser
riesermc@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

David Brownell			db@east.sun.com.

"What's the network equivalent of 'the rough section of town'?"