[comp.groupware] Self-moderated posting scheme

dsstodol@daimi.aau.dk (David S. Stodolsky) (10/25/90)

markabel@uswat.uswest.com (Mark Abel) in Message-ID: <5938@uswat.UUCP>
writes:

>There has been some discussion in this group recently regarding a "self
>moderating posting scheme."  The idea was to have a system that tallied
>reader response in some weighted fashion to provide a writer with feedback.

There is a big difference between just giving a writer feedback and selecting
a writer for publication.

My "Report card" resulting from the original posting:

Report 1:

1:BRAVO
 ------------------------------

Report 2:

A:Agree
B:Relevant
C:Understand
D:BFD (Big F* Deal = Trivial)
E:Let's do it
F:Amuzing
X:....

For you: 2ABCE
-------------------------------

Thanks for the feedback folks. Actually doing this would mean that the reports
go to a mediator before being transmitted to the author. There are two reasons
for this. First, we want reports to be protected. With journals, referees are
normally anonymous.  Using pseudonyms is the right way to do this. Second, a
mediator would combine the reports in some way. Thus the author would get a
summary report, and each referee would also get a report on how their
judgements fit the overall pattern of judgments. Some of these referees would
be invited to submit a follow-up to the article they had evaluated.

Doing this on Usenet means setting up a moderated group. Anything posted to
this group would be automatically forwarded to the mediator by mail. For
example, you read an article in comp.groupware.d (for digest) and give your
feedback as a follow-up. This could be done manually, or somebody could
develop a macro which asked a sequence of questions and which could be easily
invoked after reading an article (I think this could be done easily with the
nn newsreader package). After the time for responses had elapsed (say a week),
the mediator performs a set of calculations and issues reports by mail to
authors and referees. Referees selected to be new authors are expected to mail
their articles to the mediator within a week. These are issued to start a new
cycle.

Now, how to insure that the mediator isn't cheating? Each report received
would be posted to comp.groupware, under a pseudonym. Thus, anybody could
check the calculations or even try their own. Better yet, this would allow
readers to independently decide who was worth reading, regardless of dominate
opinion. This is what I have termed "mutual moderation". Actually, it is
simpler since it does not require central mediation. But it does require each
person to maintain a reputation database on their own machine. Actually, we
could start doing this without creating a new group. The minimum requirement
is that we agree on a "report form". Then the reports could be picked out of
the stream of articles in comp.groupware by some patch or macro in the
newsreading software and used to rank the "human readable" articles waiting
(see the reposted material on "mutual moderation").

I am just guessing about the best way to do this on Usenet. Earlier I had
proposed that the group comp.groupware.f be created to handle the feedback
traffic, but this was rejected by the people on the "newgroup" committee. One
argument put forward was that since neither group would be moderated there was
no point to their both being created, since the difference would be ignored.
This plan overcomes the objection. (I really think the successful vote should
have been respected [see companion post "Hidden history of comp.groupware"]).
I did not propose a moderated group originally because I feel that moderation
is seriously abused on Usenet, and the power imbalance created degrades the
quality of interaction. I originally preferred the "mutual moderation"
approach since this avoids centralized power, but there is a role for some
coordination mechanism which indicates the main lines of agreement in opinion.
The more experienced reader can always search for minority opinion, based on
their own reputation database.

With this approach, there would be a couple of articles every cycle on each of
the discussion threads in comp.groupware.d. Comp.groupware would carry in
addition to the current traffic, referee reports (under the author's
pseudonym) that had been processed by the mediator. Weekly statistical reports
and copies of mailed invitations issued to new authors by the mediator would
also appear in comp.groupware as would any minority opinions. I would prefer
to have a separate group for articles meant to be machine readable, but until
there is significant traffic in reports, I don't think it is worth pushing for
a new group.

An alternative would be to have all readable material in comp.groupware.d and
people could select articles based upon how they were sent (articles sent as a
result of invitations from the mediator would be expected to have a consistent
high quality). This approach would make it easier to follow threads (reference
or topic connections). As of the moment, I do not know of a way that can be
used to distinguish between invited articles and others. This could be
indicated in the headers, and then be processed automatically. Such an
approach would require that the reader to have some "smarts" in their news
reading software. Since this can not be depended upon, a separate group for
invited articles might be best. The more sophisticated reader would be able to
integrate articles in the invitational group with those in other groups which
referenced them.

In summary, the following channels of information can be identified:

1) Invited articles
2) Spontaneously contributed articles
3) Reports from referees (machine readable)
4) Mediation statistics and invitations

The last (4) would only have information on a weekly basis so it would not be
necessary to have a separate group. This information could go into (1) or (2).
A precondition for the creation of (1) is that somebody write the mediation
script or simulate it for a trial period (see companion posting on "Consensus
Journals"). A precondition for (3) is that people start giving ratings in
response to articles. When there started to be a lot of these, a separate
group could be created.

--
David S. Stodolsky                  Office: + 45 46 75 77 11 x 21 38
Department of Computer Science                Home: + 45 31 55 53 50