[comp.groupware] Addressing the needs of tommorow's USENET

jtc@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (J.T. Conklin) (10/30/90)

In article <TOMBRE.90Oct29111503@weissenburger.crin.fr> tombre@crin.fr (Karl Tombre) writes:
>This idea of having a comp.groupware.f companion group seems
>especially strange to me as one of the few examples cited to justify
>this, eunet.{general,followup} was just recently removed by voting
>within the eunet community, and replaced by eunet.misc, due to the
>complexity and inefficiency of having a discussion go from one group
>to the other.

The need for a proposal->followup scheme for unmoderated newsgroups
seems to be diminished in this new age of threaded newsreaders.  As
news readers become better, the need will be eliminated entirely.  Of
course the case with a moderated "base" group and unmoderated
discussion group is entirely different.

With the proper tools, it is possible to easily navigate through
threads of discussion.  It is easy to jump to the parent article,
ignore threads that get off topic, etc.  In fact, breaking up
newsgroups in this manner hurts this utility, as most newsreaders are
not yet able to follow threads across newsgroup boundries.

As USENET matures, I hope less emphasis is placed on technical issues
(fast newsgroup processing, etc.) as they are relatively easy when
compared to dealing with the human element.

We really need tools that can be used to efficently distribute and
extract information.  Threaded newsreaders are only one small step in
that direction.

	--jtc

--
J.T. Conklin	UniFax Communications Inc.