[comp.groupware] email's impact on interpersonal communication

darragh@cs-sun-fsa.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (John Darragh) (10/30/90)

Hi, my sister is doing her Masters in Communication Studies at the
University of Calgary and is currently working on a research paper
about the impact of electronic mail on interpersonal communication
in the workplace.  The main topics in her paper entail:

1.   Examining the social consequences of electronic mail on
     interpersonal communication in organizations and the "virtual" office.

2.   Evaluating the effectiveness of strategies for managing the
     deployment and use of computer-based technologies in general,
     and electronic mail specifically.

She is half way through her literature review and is now looking for more
current references.  Any citations, references, books, papers or other
information that could further her research would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Joan Darragh-Cascadden			darragh@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
14 Varal Place NW
Calgary Alberta CANADA  T3A 0A7

prevel@uni2a.unige.ch (11/02/90)

In article <1990Oct29.190457.11664@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>, darragh@cs-sun-fsa.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (John Darragh) writes:
> Hi, my sister is doing her Masters in Communication Studies at the
> University of Calgary and is currently working on a research paper
> about the impact of electronic mail on interpersonal communication
> in the workplace.  The main topics in her paper entail:
>
> 1.   Examining the social consequences of electronic mail on
>      interpersonal communication in organizations and the "virtual" office.
>
> 2.   Evaluating the effectiveness of strategies for managing the
>      deployment and use of computer-based technologies in general,
>      and electronic mail specifically.
>
> She is half way through her literature review and is now looking for more
> current references.  Any citations, references, books, papers or other
> information that could further her research would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, here are some references on books, articles and conference proceedings
about the use of electronic mail :

ARTICLES

BRANSBY Mike "Voice mail makes a difference"
The Journal of Business Strategy January/February 1990

EVELAND & BIKSON "Management view of electronic Mail"
ACM Transactions on Office Information Systems October 1988

HILTZ 	"Productivity enhancemenent from computer mediated communications :
	 a system contingency approach"
Communications of the ACM December 1988

MacKAY	"Diversity in the use of electronic mail : a preliminary inquiry"
ACM transactions on Office information Systems October 1988

BOOKS

KERR & HILTZ "Computer mediated communication systems : status and evaluation"
Academic Press New-York, Harcourt Brace Jovanovitch publishers, 1982
Human communication Research Series

VERVEST "Innovation in electronic mail"
North Holland, Elsevier Science publishers BV, 1987

CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS

MARKUS "The electronic executive managerial communication in the E-mail era"
Colloque Laval-IBM 1988
"Technologies de l'information : perspectives, impacts culturels et
organisationnels
Auberge des gouverneurs
Pavillon DeKonninck
Universite LAVAL
QUEBEC
G1K 7P4

SEROR & LAFERRIERE "Observations of the impact of computerized communication
		    network on upper managerial work"
same references as bellow

EDISON "Management view of electronic mail"
Online Publications, Pinner UK 1986
Conference on "electronic message systems" hel in London

FARMER "Electronic messaging : who, when and how ?"
Same as bellow

PALME "Group communications & its role in electronic mail"
same as bellow

RUBIN " "Issues in the design of user interfaces"
same as bellow

If some french speaking people are interested in the topic I also have
some references on french books, articles etc...

As I am also working on a paper about E-Mail implications, I would very much
agree any other references on the topic, specially  RECENT articles describing
experiences in the use of E-Mail and evaluation of these experiences.

					Michel PREVEL

PD : I apologise for my English (it is not my mother tongue)

Prof adress:

	Michel PREVEL
	Departement COMIN
	Universite de Geneve
	2, rue de Candolle
	1211 GENEVE 4
	SWITZERLAND

	Tel : 	(41) (22) 705 72 91
	Fax : 	(41) (22) 28 52 13
	E-Mail :prevel at uni2a.unige.ch

N B : 	M Y  	O P I N I O N S  	A R E  		M I N E     ! ! !