[comp.groupware] Consensus Journals:Invitational journals based upon peer

dsstodol@daimi.aau.dk (David S. Stodolsky) (12/10/90)

jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) in <4300@lib.tmc.edu> writes:

>The rest of us seem to get along just fine with Usenet as it is. What's
>your beef?

How many bits did it take to get this message across the net?
------------------
From: tetra@cup.portal.com (daniel TetraHedon willits)
Newsgroups: alt.activism,alt.drugs
Subject: Re: Heterosexual transmission, was Drug War Test: Try it!
Date: 18 Oct 90 02:26:35 GMT

Thanks dave!
------------------------

I argue that a well structured feedback method would *reduce* traffic, while
*increasing* the quality of articles read. The proposal is valid on strictly
technical grounds. (I am sorry to admit I am not the dave being thanked :-).

>As I said, there's not a whole lot you can do about the level
>of flamage on the net, and complicated proposals for greatly limiting the
>volume of discussion certainly won't help.

No. NO. NO! If you reread the paper, you will note I explicitly state there is
no limitation of posting at all. Quality is improved by inviting more competent
readers to post. This is the crucial difference between a "Consensus Journal"
and a normal peer review journal. If someone want to make a total fool of
themselves, there is no "gatekeeper" to stop them. Sounds pretty much like the
Net right now. 1/2 ;-)

--
David S. Stodolsky                  Office: + 45 46 75 77 11 x 21 38
Department of Computer Science                Home: + 45 31 95 92 82

jgsmith@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith) (12/13/90)

What about the following scenario for electronic publications
(sorry for the biological slant)

sci.research.biology.papers  (an unmoderated newsgroup)

sci.research.journal.immunologytoday
sci.research.journal.biologicalchemistry
sci.research.journal.molecularandcellbiology
sci.research.journal.science
sci.research.journal.cell
etc.
(moderated journals, perhaps requiring subscription fees)

The scenario:

I write up my paper, send it to sci.research.biology.papers.

At the same time I send email to the editors of "Cell" saying please include
... er...  please review the paper which I submitted to sci...papers.

The editors of cell would screen the paper for interest, and ask several
qualified reviewers to review the paper.  They would convey their comments to
Cell, who conveys their decision to me.  If they reject it for reasons of
interest, I might bring my paper to the attention of another journal.  If
they require a revision, i make the necessary changes (do the additional
experiments), submit the new version to sci...papers, and then email the new
journal.

Once the paper is "accepted", the new journal either resends the paper in its
own newsgroup, or simply makes a reference to the paper and states that it has
passed its review requirements.

Most people would then not pay much/any attention to the noisy
sci.research.biology.papers newsgroup, but would instead wait to see what has
been reviewed by the various journals.  However, they could still screen the
papers newsgroup (hopefully an automated screen) for papers dealing specifically with their specific interests.

Well, watchya think?

*