Newsgroups: news.admin,news.groups
From: dsstodol@daimi.aau.dk (David S. Stodolsky)
Subject: preferential voting
Sender: dsstodol@daimi.aau.dk (David S. Stodolsky)
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 90 18:49:48 GMT

This is a survey I prepared after discussion at the beginning of the year
concerning procedures for creating new groups. Due to delay resulting from
unstable net access, I am posting this now for any further comment.
====================

This apparently did not reach most persons. Similarly, when I posted the Call
for Votes myself, there appeared to be propagation problems. Only a single vote
came in. Here is the header:

===============
Newsgroups: news.groups,comp.groupware,comp.misc,sci.misc,rec.misc,soc.misc
From: dsstodol@daimi.aau.dk (David S. Stodolsky)
Subject: ***CfV*** Interest Group Surveys (was:preferential voting
Sender: dsstodol@daimi.aau.dk (David S. Stodolsky)
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 90 17:40:52 GMT

In comparison, after the call was posted to n.a.n I received a substantial
number of votes. However, I have seen a post indicating that some votes have
bounced back. Finally, the local area network at my University seems to be dying
with disturbing regularity lately. Also, because I am using a news machine at
another university, I must connect via the Danish University's Network, that is
also having problems lately. Because of these local problems, and moving of my
own machine, I was unable to repost the Call for Votes and votes received,
midway through the vote.

However, there are several problems of a non technical nature. First, several
persons have complained that the proposal is too hard to read. This is in part
due to a very compact presentation. That was the result of long discussion from
a year ago, the point of which was that any voting method should be expressible
in 25 lines or less. A second complication is that two options are being
presented simultaneously.

Second, some people want to preserve the 2/3 rule even with preferential voting.
These should be options for the vote.

Third, the way the vote has been handled by the moderator of n.a.n is totally
unacceptable to me.

1) The moderator annotated the ballot. The first lines of the Call for Votes as
posted by the moderator reads:

==========================
[ED- I have my misgivings about this posting, and will post them in
 news.groups.-eliot]

p)  Preferred name.  Yes > 100.
m)  Preferred name.  Yes > 100.  Yes > No.
c)  Proposed name.  Yes - No > 100.  2/3 Yes.
The above lines are your ballot. Enclose ONLY these lines with your vote.
==========================

During the comp.groupware vote, I made it absolutely clear that any modification
to my posts was not acceptable. Further, I pointed out, at that time, that the
charter for n.a.n did not authorize any action by the moderator except returning
the post to its author with a note indicating it did not conform to the
Guidelines. The current moderator was involved in those discussions.

All posts are copyright at the source and modification of them could be
considered a violation of the copyright law.

More important, editorial comment make it hard to trace activities of a given
person, since their comments appear under the authorship of a different
individual. Since one of the few tools we have available to select articles is
their author's reputation, disruption of the one-to-one connection between
author's names and comments defeats certain strategies for news reading. This
form of corruption should not be tolerated. It is not necessary. A moderator can
follow up a post with any comments, should that be necessary (and permitted by
the group's Charter and the Guidelines).

This ballot annotation was not only done to the post in n.a.n, but also in a
separate article (as interpreted by my newsreader - nn) crossposted to six
newsgroups. The separate posting, makes it likely that duplicate votes will be
transmitted, since persons see the Call twice.

2) Even though I explicitly indicated that a Call for discussion had been posted
and that a discussion had taken place at an earlier time, the moderator claims,
That no discussion had taken place:

>I think David Stodolsky's call for votes is premature.  Here's
>why:
>
>[1]	It was not openly considered in news.groups.  So
>	significant change to the guidelines should be discussed.

 and then repeats this in:
--------------------------
Subject: [Happy Thanksgiving!] Current Status of Votes on Newsgroups

GROUP NAME                 DISCUSSION     VOTE          ENDS
[...]
Charter Change               *None*       Nov 25        Dec 8
                Votes to: dsstodol@daimi.dk
----------------------------

Aside from not even using the original name for the post, he indicates a
*Charter* change, when in fact this concerns a change to the *Guidelines* (this
was corrected in the most recent Current Status). Even worst, one is left with
the impression that, I just dropped this Call for Votes on the Net without any
attempt to get feedback from a discussion. Also, it was originally posted for
voting on Nov. 8, 1990. The above Nov. 25, 1990 date makes it look even more
like I did not want discussion.

Not disregarding the assistance I and others have received from Eliot Lear, I
conclude from this that the moderator needs a rest. It is necessary, not only
that the moderator of n.a.n act fairly, but that the moderator appear as fair.
This certainly is not true at this point. I have seen a few complaints, and this
means that a good number of people are having their doubts.

In any case, I am glad to see discussion on this issue has been (over?)
stimulated. I will post a formal Call for Discussion on this issue.

--
David S. Stodolsky                  Office: + 45 46 75 77 11 x 21 38
Department of Computer Science                Home: + 45 31 55 53 50

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (12/08/90)

Well, it looks like Mr. Waldron finally has some competition.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
"What's that thing, when people die, they take apart the body to see why?"

geyer@aylmer.uchicago.edu (Charles Geyer) (12/08/90)

In article <1990Dec5.221016.14262@daimi.aau.dk> dsstodol@daimi.aau.dk
(David S. Stodolsky) writes:

> I am cancelling the Call for Votes on "Interest Group Surveys"

Good idea.

> ... several persons have complained that the proposal is too hard to read.
> This is in part due to a very compact presentation. That was the result of
> long discussion from a year ago, the point of which was that any voting
> method should be expressible in 25 lines or less.

Not only very hard to read, but downright misleading.  It doesn't say what
it appears to on first reading.  The options for which we were supposed to
vote were complete gobbledegook.

> Third, the way the vote has been handled by the moderator of n.a.n is
> totally unacceptable to me.

That's o. k.  It doesn't seem to have bothered anyone else.

Charlie Geyer
Department of Statistics
University of Chicago
geyer@galton.uchicago.edu

jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) (12/14/90)

In article <2760203C.6C7C@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>Well, it looks like Mr. Waldron finally has some competition.

Naw. David Stodolsky only comes in at 650 milliWaldrons, max.

(I should know...after all, I was Dr. Waldron's victim...)
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.