[comp.groupware] "Emotions" in Group Software

db@helium.East.Sun.COM (David Brownell) (01/23/91)

In article <20995@crg5.UUCP> szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:

> Where the end product does not contain either emotions or sound/video
> -- the large majority of technical work -- groupware that communicates
> emotions, and for the most part sound/video capability, is not useful.

I think this captures the essence of why I disagree with Nick about the
role of "emotions" in the workplace.  Clearly, he's not worked in an
environment that's anything like those I've been in .  It's only a rare
minority of allegedly technical situations that don't have some person
who's got some personal/emotional stake in an outcome.

Those situations may not be pleasant, and it may piss the hell out of
me to need to deal with someone's fear of new ideas or their irrational
attachment to something that blocks progress in a direction I want to
move in ... but it's a lot better to know about those things and be able
to work with them than to not know about them and hence be unable to get
an acceptible outcome.  If our communication's been restricted to exclude
those important nuances, that might increase technical content, but
will (guaranteed!) reduce its overall effectiveness thereby.

I'd like to dedicate this new thread to discussions like how just because
people have chosen technical specialties says nothing about how truly
logical and rational they are ... or maybe about how it's critical to
design so-called "groupware" systems to facilitate real flesh-and-blood
people who are irrational and emotional and aren't about to change just
to make some bloody programmer happy!  (:-)

- Dave
One of the Million monkeys ... see, here's my keyboard!

szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) (01/24/91)

In article <4015@eastapps.East.Sun.COM> db@east.sun.com (David Brownell) writes:

>... I disagree with Nick about the
>role of "emotions" in the workplace.  Clearly, he's not worked in an
>environment that's anything like those I've been in .  It's only a rare
>minority of allegedly technical situations that don't have some person
>who's got some personal/emotional stake in an outcome.

I don't think I have ever worked in a situation where people did *not*
have personal and emotional stakes in the outcome.  It simply does not
follow, however, that communicating those emotions will increase the
quality of the technical outcome.  Furthermore, if one did need to
communicate emotions, the bandwidth of computer and even video
communications is several orders of magnitude below face-to-face contact
and spoken language, and personal contact will be much preferable to
emotional groupware in nearly all instances.

>Those situations may not be pleasant, and it may piss the hell out of
>me to need to deal with someone's fear of new ideas or their irrational
>attachment to something that blocks progress in a direction I want to
>move in ... but it's a lot better to know about those things and be able
>to work with them than to not know about them and hence be unable to get
>an acceptible outcome.

This assumes two things:

* That your definition of "progress" is in fact the correct one and
  that all you need to do is emotionally convince your fellows that
  you are right.
* That people with the correct technical solution are more emotionally
  convincing than those with the incorrect solution.

I see no relation, unless it is negative, between the ability to
emotionally persuade and the correctness of one's technical solutions.
If the communication sticks to the technical task, instead of spending
brain and communications bandwidth on emotional persuasion, the technical
outcome will likely be superior.

>If our communication's been restricted to exclude
>those important nuances, that might increase technical content, but
>will (guaranteed!) reduce its overall effectiveness thereby.

I reach quite the opposite conclusion.  The "nuances" soak up bandwidth.
They do not contribute to the communication of the technical information
or resolution of the technical problems.  If emotional nuances and
deciphering of the nuances are excluded, the technical solution will
be superior.

--
Nick Szabo			szabo@sequent.com
Embrace Change...  Keep the Values...  Hold Dear the Laughter...

db@helium.East.Sun.COM (David Brownell) (01/25/91)

> >If our communication's been restricted to exclude
> >those important nuances, that might increase technical content, but
> >will (guaranteed!) reduce its overall effectiveness thereby.

> I reach quite the opposite conclusion.  The "nuances" soak up bandwidth.
> They do not contribute to the communication of the technical information
> or resolution of the technical problems.  If emotional nuances and
> deciphering of the nuances are excluded, the technical solution will
> be superior.

You're saying the nuances are unimportant ... but as explained in the
problem scenario, it was impossible to get to the task issue without
addressing the non-task ones first, and the only way to find that out
was to have those "nuances".  A ** VERY COMMON SITUATION ** in all kinds
of environments; people are people.  So long as the situation is viewed
as only "technical" there may in fact be no "technical solution" at all.

In fact, if there were some better bandwidth devoted to nonverbal content
on USENET I might be able to find out why it's being hard to achieve a
reality check here; maybe I'd find my leg is just being pulled.  In any
case, enough of this waste of ASCII characters.

One of the Million monkeys ... see, here's my keyboard!