[comp.groupware] coordination technology

cywong@syacus.acus.oz.au (CY Wong) (03/10/91)

hi there,

Back in 1985, Anatol Holt wrote a paper on 'Coordination Technology and
Petri Nets'. (Paper was published in LNCS 222 - Advances in Petri Nets 1985)
Abstract of paper reads as follows:

'This paper introduces a new apporach to Petri net interpretation. With this
approach, properly interpreted Petri nets yield new insights about the
mechanics of human work organizations. Furthermore, these insights take
technically useful form. In the last few years, the approach has led to the
development of an industrial software technology - Coordination Technology -
for the construction of electronic work environments. The technological and
scientific background are described enough to provide motivation for the new
approach to Petri net interpretation.'

At that time, CSCW and Groupware were unheard of (at least to me).
I am curious as to the following:

1) was groupware and CSCW actively researched back in 1985
2) if so, was Holt's paper well-known amongst you people
3) were there further papers from Holt (or his colleagues from ITT) on
   this topic
4) is his paper relevant to the area of groupware/cscw (or am i barking up
   the wrong tree)

(email me and I shall summarise to this newsgroup. I am happy to send copies
of paper to anyone if LNCS 222 is difficult to obtain from your library)

Chek Yoon WONG
A.C.U.S.
115 Wicks Rd
North Ryde NSW 2113

cywong@syacus.acus.oz.au (CY Wong) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar10.074044.16329@syacus.acus.oz.au> I wrote:
>Back in 1985, Anatol Holt wrote a paper on 'Coordination Technology and
>Petri Nets'. (Paper was published in LNCS 222 - Advances in Petri Nets 1985)
>Abstract of paper reads as follows:
>
>'This paper introduces a new apporach to Petri net interpretation. With this
>approach, properly interpreted Petri nets yield new insights about the
>mechanics of human work organizations. Furthermore, these insights take
>technically useful form. In the last few years, the approach has led to the
>development of an industrial software technology - Coordination Technology -
>for the construction of electronic work environments. The technological and
>scientific background are described enough to provide motivation for the new
>approach to Petri net interpretation.'
>
>At that time, CSCW and Groupware were unheard of (at least to me).
>I am curious as to the following:
>
>1) was groupware and CSCW actively researched back in 1985
>2) if so, was Holt's paper well-known amongst you people
>3) were there further papers from Holt (or his colleagues from ITT) on
>   this topic
>4) is his paper relevant to the area of groupware/cscw (or am i barking up
>   the wrong tree)
>
>(email me and I shall summarise to this newsgroup. I am happy to send copies
>of paper to anyone if LNCS 222 is difficult to obtain from your library)
>
>Chek Yoon WONG
>A.C.U.S.
>115 Wicks Rd
>North Ryde NSW 2113

here's are the replies I've received:
-----------------------------------
From: Ken Grant <kgrant@us.oracle.com>

About 1) & 2)- Yes, work was going on before 1985.  The first meeting
explicitly on CSCW I know of was organized by Irene Greif (who coined
the term "CSCW") at MIT's Endicott House in (I think) August 1984.
About 2 or 3 dozen people were invited to come talk about their
research.  I think that people had been doing CSCW for a while but
the field lacked organization - a lot of credit is due Irene for doing
much of that organization herself.

Anyway, I don't remember if Holt was at that first meeting - my
binder with things from that meeting disappeared a couple of years ago :^(
However, I am certain that there were attendees there who knew him and
had read his work.

I'm not sure about 3); as to 4), sure its relevant.

Ken Grant

Internet:  kgrant@us.oracle.com
UUCP:     ...{hplabs,apple,uunet}!oracle!kgrant
USMail:   Oracle Corporation, 400 Oracle Parkway, Redwood Shores CA 94065
AT&T:     (415) 506-2908

-----------------------------
From: "Hanhwe N. Kim" <hnkst2@unix.cis.pitt.edu>

When I first started my Master's back in 1985, I became interested in
CSCW and hypertext. The research was dispersed, and could be gleaned
from journals that had to do with user interface design .. eg.
"From cognitive to social Ergonomics(john Seely Brown)" in Norman and
Drapers 'user centered systems design'.
The first time I ran into Holt's research was in "Computers and
Cognition" by Terry Winograd and Fernando Flores.. there is a small
reference to the work he did at ITT... So it was 1986-7 I think.

Holt's work is relevant for defining collaborative tasks in terms of
resource allocation, time constraints, dependencies. I'm not sure
whether, industrial engineers use petri nets to layout automated
factories, but Holt tries to describe office/professional work in an
anolgous manner. He mentions in later articles that the 'Coordination
base' is to occupy a layer in a future distributed, networked operating
system.. defining the sematics of collaborative applications.

dsstodol@daimi.aau.dk (David S. Stodolsky) (03/15/91)

A problem with Holt's work from ITT is the failure to recognize the
integrity of the individual. That is, if a person switches from one role to
another, the person can just as easily be talking to themself as to another
person within the framework of the coordination system.
Also, the concept of role is not that clear from a sociological standpoint.

--
David S. Stodolsky                Messages: + 45 46 75 77 11 x 24 41
Department of Computer Science                 Tel: + 45 31 95 92 82

hnkst2@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Hanhwe N. Kim) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.182538.29557@daimi.aau.dk> dsstodol@daimi.aau.dk (David S. Stodolsky) writes:

>A problem with Holt's work from ITT is the failure to recognize the
>integrity of the individual. That is, if a person switches from one role to
>another, the person can just as easily be talking to themself as to another
>person within the framework of the coordination system.
>Also, the concept of role is not that clear from a sociological standpoint.

Absolutely right.. the 'scandinavian perspective' where the interests of
workers is taken into account has been  accepted only recently .. (post
'CSCW 88) I think. Holt was more interested in the coordination of
resources in time... avoiding conflicts in resource allocation in the
project-management sense.... and insuring the completion of tasks that
other tasks relied upon.... His earlier petri-net examples, as well as
his coordination base show that.... The definition of role he gives is
more related to a job task responsibility rather than an individual.....

 It is not to say he did not care about the worker... I think there
were references to how such a coordination base would allow more
flexibility... etc...
Just my truly HUMBLE opinion... I'm just a graduate student...
no disclaimer needed!:)
-Han Kim

dsstodol@daimi.aau.dk (David S. Stodolsky) (03/16/91)

In comp.groupware you write:

. Stodolsky) writes:

>>A problem with Holt's work from ITT is the failure to recognize the
>>integrity of the individual. That is, if a person switches from one role to
>>another, the person can just as easily be talking to themself as to another
>>person within the framework of the coordination system.
>>Also, the concept of role is not that clear from a sociological standpoint.
>>

>Absolutely right.. the 'scandinavian perspective' where the interests of
>workers is taken into account has been  accepted only recently .. (post

Unfortunately, the 'Scandinavian perspective' assumes that the union
represents the interest of the worker. This may not always be true,
especially when the union becomes a large bureaucratic organization.

More on this in:
Citation:
Stodolsky, D. (1989, July). _Computer-supported cooperative
work: The question of personal integrity_. Paper for
presentation at the International Conference on Information
System, Work, and Organization Design, Berlin, GDR.

For presentation at the International Conference on
Information System, Work, and Organization Design,
Berlin, GDR (July 10-13, 1989).

Computer Supported Cooperative Work:
The Question of Personal Integrity

David S. Stodolsky, PhD

University of Copenhagen

Abstract

The expanding use of personal computers in the work place
has catalyzed a new interest in cooperation. This
interest appears to be generated by a "technology push".
Large numbers of independent computer workstations have
led to many databases controlled by individual workers.
The easy interchange of this data, made technologically
possible by the new networking technology, has been
inhibited by inadequate mechanisms for cooperation.

A significant risk exists that the cooperation embodied
in these new systems will have little relationship to
co-operation as it is understood by social researchers.
This is because, first, the system designers confronted
with these questions are primarily dealing with specific
problems visible in the implementation of computer
networks, and the problems are viewed as primarily
technical problems that demand technical solutions.
Second, the system designers tend to have little social
science expertise. Third, the currently available
hardware and software systems may preempt many potential
co-operative solutions.

These factors reinforce current trends that permit
computers to play an increasingly important role in the
erosion of personal integrity in the work place and in
society at large. Potential outcomes of these trends
include elimination of cooperatively structured
organizations and a neo-Luddite reaction against the use
of computer technology.

--
David S. Stodolsky                Messages: + 45 46 75 77 11 x 24 41
Department of Computer Science                 Tel: + 45 31 95 92 82
Bldg. 20.1, Roskilde University Center        Internet: david@ruc.dk
Post Box 260, DK-4000 Roskilde, Denmark        Fax: + 45 46 75 74 01

hnkst2@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Hanhwe N. Kim) (03/16/91)

I used the words 'Scandinavian perspective' in an ambiguous manner ..
I can't remember who actually coined the term (Greenbaum?) but in
several papers it refers to design processes that try to incorporate
user involvement. There is also mention of value orientation on the part
of the designer to try to promote certain types of organizations ...
workplace 'democracy', skills, autonomy etc. It seemed that hierarchies are
seen as bad, and bureaucracies are to be avoided. I thought that
'bureaucrtized unions' did not fit in the 'Scandanavian perspective'.

While I share the concerns of many in the field about the organizational
impact of computer technology, the lack of definitions for things like
autonomy, democracy(workplace) bureaucracy and etc. seem troubling. I'd
really appreciate if people posted more of their thoughts on how to deal
with the organizational impact of computer technology.
Thanks!
-Han Kim

campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) (03/17/91)

You all may be interested to know that about five years ago Holt founded a
company, named (surprise!) Coordination Technology, to build products based
on his work.  He has since left the company, but they are still in
business.  No, they have not shipped a product yet.  I can not say any more
at this point, other than the fact that the company is located in Trumbull,
Connecticut.
--
Larry Campbell             The Boston Software Works, Inc., 120 Fulton Street
campbell@redsox.bsw.com    Boston, Massachusetts 02109 (USA)