[comp.groupware] Roberts' Rules mediator software?

hamilton@vine.OsbuSouth.Xerox.COM (Bruce Hamilton) (03/22/91)

Does anybody know of software that would be a
multi-user-friendly interface to allow an online meeting,
enforce Roberts' Rules, and automatically take minutes?
I'd be most interested in free software with source code,
since most of the people in my target group are running
Xerox 6085 and 8010 workstations.

Thanks,
--
--Bruce
Xerox Corp., 101 Continental Blvd. ESC1-611, El Segundo, CA 90245

dsstodol@daimi.aau.dk (David S. Stodolsky) (04/04/91)

In <420@vine.OsbuSouth.Xerox.COM> Bruce Hamilton writes:

>Does anybody know of software that would be a
>multi-user-friendly interface to allow an online meeting,
>enforce Roberts' Rules, and automatically take minutes?
>I'd be most interested in free software with source code,

There is some source code available, but this is not what is considered
multi-user-friendly these days. I also summarize some results from the
pre-history of groupware in the program abstract. This is only research, thus
far, to show improved performance and emotional tone in mediated groups (please
correct me if I am in error.)

Citation: Stodolsky, D. (1987). Dialogue management program for the
Apple II computer.
Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers, 19, 483-484.

Copyright 1987 Psychonomic Society, Inc.
  Dialogue management program for the Apple II computer

     Many procedures for allocation of turns to
speakers have been advocated for both face-to-face
dialogue and teleconferencing (Stodolsky, 1978).  Such
procedures typically seek to promote a balance in
participation through application of fair allocation
rules.  They sometimes incorporate protected modes of
expression, such as anonymous voting, into the dialogue
management rules.  In order to encourage concise
statements and prompt treatment of a topic or motion,
the rules often set limits on how long each person can
speak and on the total time for conferencing.

     The DIALOG PSD NO CLK (DIALOGue management with
Paddles, Sound, Data and NO CLocK) program for the
Apple II Plus computer uses an equal-time resolution
rule to allocate time to speakers, and limits turns and
total time to values entered at the beginning of
conferencing (Stodolsky, 1981a).  The equal-time
resolution rule resolves conflicting requests for a
turn in favor of the person who has thus far had the
least time.

     One way to understand the operation of the system
is to think of each speaker as having a computer, which
in certain conflicts acts as a confidential agent.
When many persons wish to talk at the same time, these
agents negotiate to determine which person will speak
first.  With this program, it is as if the agents
compare their clocks which show how long each person
has thus far spoken.  The person permitted to speak has
the least time on their clock, that is, the one who has
thus far spoken the least.

     The transition from speaker to speaker is
protected in these cases, since the responsibility for
either cutting off an over-time speaker or rejecting a
pending request is shared by the group, as opposed to
being the sole responsibility of the succeeding
speaker, which is the case in unstructured dialogue
(Stodolsky, 1981b). This is true for two reasons, first
the group has agreed to use the program to select among
conflicting requests.  Second, at any contested
transition, between one and all of the listeners have
requests pending, thus indicating a desire to terminate
the turn of the current speaker.  Neither the presence
of, nor the source of a request is revealed if it is
rejected.  An accepted request is revealed only when
the name of the new speaker appears.  The protective
mechanism is equivalent to that used by scientific
journals which have blind review (author anonymity
during the review process).  That is, contributors
name's are only revealed if they are selected to
present their message.

     Persons in groups which used the equal-time
resolution rule showed superior task performance and
experienced less frustration as compared to persons in
groups using a first-in first-out resolution rule.
Also, in groups using the equal-time resolution rule,
persons who were fearful of speaking in groups were
felt to be group leaders just as often as persons who
were not fearful (Zimbardo, Linsenmeier, Kabat & Smith,
1981).  Teams working in the telecommunication settings
made better decisions, enjoyed themselves more,
experienced less frustration, and viewed their teams'
decisions more favorably as compared to face-to-face
groups (Linsenmeier & Zimbardo, 1982).  These
preliminary results are unusual when compared with
other work on telephone meetings.  Such meetings
typically result in greater dissatisfaction and
inferior performance as compared to face-to-face
interaction (Weston & Kristen, 1973; Weston, Kristen &
O'Connor, 1975).

     The program described here uses standard Apple II
game paddles for input requests.  Up to four
participants can be accommodated if all paddle inputs
of the game input/output port are used.  Paddles
function as binary inputs, the knob is turned
completely clockwise to request a speaking turn and
completely counter clockwise to relinquish a turn or
continue listening to the current speaker.  As each new
speaker is selected, the speaker's name is displayed
and a number of beeps indicating the selected paddle is
produced.  This simple audio indication eliminates the
need for the group to either look at the screen or have
a person announce the name of the new speaker.  Time
remaining is updated at the start of each new turn.
The total time for conferencing is also displayed.

     After presenting instructions, the program
requests the turn limit, the minimum time a person can
speak without an interruption.  There is no maximum
time, since only another's request can interrupt the
current speaker.  Interruptions are permitted on each
occasion that the turn limit is reached, but only by
those who have used less time than the speaker.  If no
interruption occurs, then the current speaker can
continue for at least the turn limit again.  Finally,
the program requests the total time limit for the
conference, and number of participants.  Each
participant's name is then requested.  After the last
name is entered, the program presents the message,
"Waiting for new speaker," or the name of the speaker
requesting a turn, and starts timing the session.  When
the total time for conferencing is exceeded, the
program permits the current speaker's turn to expire
and then halts conferencing.  Finally, it displays
approximate elapsed speaking time of each person.

     Since no clock is used by the program, time
keeping is based upon an input scanning and time limit
checking loop.  This procedure maintains an
approximately  correct interval scale relationship
among the speaking times of different persons, but does
not account correctly for waiting periods and thus
overall time.  A single parameter allows adjustment for
different models of the Apple II.  Approximate
real-time accounting is achieved by altering the
loops-to-seconds translation.

     The program is written in Applesoft (R) BASIC.
The part of the program that collects inputs is
isolated in a subroutine.  This facilitates increasing
the number of speakers permitted, either by use of an
operator who enters requests on the Apple II keyboard
or by direct inputs from participants through
individual keyboards or switches.  The display
procedures are also isolated, which facilitates
utilization of an external display generation device.
The program can be used directly as a demonstration of
the equal-time resolution rule or incorporated into
another system, such as one for multimedia
computer-based conferencing, as a module for
coordination of turn taking.  A comprehensive set of
FORTRAN modules used for experiments which included
conditions using the equal-time resolution rule and the
first-in first-out rule were presented earlier
(Stodolsky, 1976).  These assume data storage in the
modules for collecting requests.  Modules not requiring
this deviation from FORTRAN standards are available
from the author at cost.

Availability

     The BASIC program listing is available without
charge.  DOS 3.3 copies of this and related programs,
that permit operator input for up to 10 persons and use
of an interface for direct input for up to 16 persons,
are available.  They are supplied with programs which
permit use of a Mountain Hardware clock (Stodolsky,
1984) and may be obtained by sending a blank diskette
to the author.