[comp.groupware] Really funny jokes being missed

) (05/20/91)

rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
> In article <swT423w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (CNEWS MUST DIE!) w
[ Talking about C News ]
> >It loses articles unnecessarily, without reporting its delivery failure to
> >the originator.
> >
> >I call that broken.
>
>   I don't.  Good work, Henry and Geoff, in improving quality.

"Improving quality"?

I spend sometimes *literally hours* writing stuff to post to Usenet, stuff
which I know people like to read and which I get fan mail for, C News throws
all that away silently because of a missing comma in the news header, and you
tell me it's "improving quality"?

What the hell kind of quality improvement is that?

You may not like my postings; you may not even read the newsgroups I
generally post in. But to say that silently throwing away everything I write
is a "quality improvement" is grossly offensive. I didn't see alt.flame in
the newsgroups line.

>   In principle, email is person to person communication.  Getting the message
> through is therefore the principle.  Adherence to exact standards is not
> as important (as long as this does not cause system problems), as getting the
> message to its destination.  Sender and recipient can have their own private
> arguments about standards.  (No debates about this here, please.  This is
> a forum on news software).
>
>   News, on the other hand, is public, not private.  It is in some sense, a fo
> of publication.  Any failure to observe standards is an imposition on the
> general public, so the publisher (in this case the news software, under
> supervision of the administrator), has a higher obligation to maintain
> accepted standards.

This is truly bizarre. You seem to be saying that the form of publication of
news is more important than its content.

C News silently discarding articles with bad headers is like a newspaper
silently discarding letters and other correspondence which have the date
missing, and only publishing things which agree with their own standards for
spelling, punctuation and layout.

I'm adding comp.infosystems and comp.groupware to the newsgroups line,
because I'm sure they'll be interested in your opinions. (I'm not being
sarcastic, by the way.)

mathew

In article <RP39225w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (CNEWS MUST DIE!) writes:
>>   I don't.  Good work, Henry and Geoff, in improving quality.
>
>"Improving quality"?
>
>I spend sometimes *literally hours* writing stuff to post to Usenet, stuff
>which I know people like to read and which I get fan mail for, C News throws
>all that away silently because of a missing comma in the news header, and you
>tell me it's "improving quality"?

  If your articles are all that valuable, you surely kept a copy, and can
repost.

>What the hell kind of quality improvement is that?

 The "quality improvement" means that the next time someond drops 10 megabytes
of really stale news on the net, I won't have to waste a lot of time trying to
scrub it out of my tight disk space.  Who knows?  With the time I save, maybe I
will have more time left over to read your posting.  If the price I pay is to
occasionally miss a current article with a syntactically invalid date, it is
price well worth paying.

>You may not like my postings; you may not even read the newsgroups I
>generally post in. But to say that silently throwing away everything I write
>is a "quality improvement" is grossly offensive. I didn't see alt.flame in
>the newsgroups line.

 I was referring to the quality of the news software, not the quality of news
articles.  I have not seen any improvement in the latter.

>This is truly bizarre. You seem to be saying that the form of publication of
>news is more important than its content.

 If you want to describe it that way.  I happen to think that some of the
headers are part of the content.

 I'll tell you what!  Why don't you set up an alternate news system where all
the processing is done manually.  Since a human is involved, syntactic errors
can more easily be corrected.  In any case, since it is not automated, there
will be no software dependence on the exact form of the headers, so you can
do what you like with them.  I bet that the propogation with this manual
system will be far poorer than with an automated system.  If you want the
benefits of automation, you have to live with some of the imposed rigidity.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

kucharsk@solbourne.com (William Kucharski) (05/21/91)

In article <RP39225w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (CNEWS MUST DIE!) writes:
 >C News silently discarding articles with bad headers is like a newspaper
 >silently discarding letters and other correspondence which have the date
 >missing, and only publishing things which agree with their own standards for
 >spelling, punctuation and layout.

But most newspapers do reject letters and other correspondence missing a phone
number.  What's the solution if you want the letter published?  Read the box
in the editorial section stating what that newspaper's requirements are for
publication of your letter.  What's the solution if you what your news article
published?  You and/or the author of your news software should read the
RFC.