[comp.groupware] Book - Computer Mediated Communications

bob@teamate.UUCP (bob) (05/13/91)

>In article <192@teamate.UUCP>, bob@teamate.UUCP (bob) writes:
>> Matthew Rapaport's new book "Computer Mediated Communications" is
>> out published by Wiley Professional Computing.
>> ISBN 0-471-51642-2
...--
>Do you have any idea what the contents are? Have you seen the Table
>of Contents for example? I don't like ordering _any_ book sight unseen.
>Thanks
I read the first half of the book the first night but then my partner took
it and I haven't finished.  I liked it.  Good historical perspective and
current information.  Oriented more towards wide area conferencing systems
but mentions the Xerox project, LENS, etc. and does a good look at a number
of software packages (including ours, TEAMate :-)  and is accurate and fair.
Book costs $46.00 but is worthwhile to read and as a resource.  After a year
or so will be out of date but still worth it.
Bob
--
  MMB Development Corporation, 904 Manhattan Ave, Manhattan Beach, CA  90266
       "The TEAMate UNIX BBS for SUN, DEC, IBM, AT&T, HP and INTEL"

mjr@well.sf.ca.us (Matthew Rapaport) (05/19/91)

>Book costs $46.00 but is worthwhile to read and as a resource.

YOW!! The retail price was supposed to be $32.95! I don't know if the
publisher can control distributor prices, but let me know who's retailing
for $46, and I'll pass the word to the pub. anyway, we might as well
see what's happening...

Thanks for the plug. I worked hard on that book. It is not perfect by
any means. It has its strengths and weaknesses, as any other thing
might I imagine... As for table of contents, I would be glad to publish
them here on the net if I get a vote for it. As it is, I was once
chastized for once posting something as long (about 6k), though I've
seen many longer postings than that... Anyway, one vote for a posting
of the book's table of contents, and I'll send it here...

Otherwise, I'll be glad to address issues raised, good points, and bad.
I don't take criticism personally, much of it is certainly well deserved...

Yours truely...
the author
matthew rapaport
mjr@well.sf.ca.us

dlarson@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dale Larson) (05/19/91)

In article <24861@well.sf.ca.us> mjr@well.sf.ca.us (Matthew Rapaport) writes:
>seen many longer postings than that... Anyway, one vote for a posting
>of the book's table of contents, and I'll send it here...

Please post the book's table of contents.
--
          Dale Larson, Software Engineer, Amiga Network Development
                           dlarson@cbmvax.commodore.com

martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) (05/22/91)

You got (publicly) my vote for a Table of Content post.

--
    // Daniel Martin                            Universite de Montreal   \\
   //  MediaLab, ca vous regarde!               C.P. 6128, Succursale A,  \\