[alt.folklore.computers] Multi-button mice

igb@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Ian G Batten) (12/19/89)

baum@apple.UUCP (Allen Baum) writes:

> The terminology of "bucky-bits" precedes Symbolics by quite a bit. It
> originated at Stanford AI Labs in the late 60's, I believe. I can't
> recall how they got named exactly. Perhaps someone who remembers could
> set it straight, and possibly cross-post to alt.computer.folklore

The ``Hacker's Dictionary'', as I recall, traces the use of extensive
shift bits being called ``Bucky Bits'' to Nicklaus Wirth, who suggested
them whilst in the US on a sabatical.  He was nicknamed ``Bucky'' at
the time.

ian

--
Ian G Batten, BT Fulcrum - igb@fulcrum.bt.co.uk - ...!uunet!ukc!fulcrum!igb