[alt.folklore.computers] notable computer stories in fiction and the media

GEHRI@cc.usu.edu (Gehri Grimaud) (01/17/90)

In article <1361@scorn.sco.COM>, davidv@sco.COM (David Vangerov) writes:
> 2) Rick Cook wrote a fantasy novel called "Wizard's Bane" that features
>    such fun things as Emacs, C, Unix. it mentions *sizeof* specifically
>    (put in boldface). later on in the book we get R^2D^2, find, a passwd
>    cracker, some stuff that looks like C, or maybe Lisp, Emac(s), grep,
>    $ prompt, cd, slash, backslash, and other stuff common in Unix. the
>    story centers around a guy who is magically transported into another
>    world where magic reins supreme, and there is no technology. he has
>    nickname of Wiz, which is why he was called into the other world to
>    help fight evil magic. eventually he invents a magic compiler to help
>    in this. very intersting novel.

A sequel has been released by Rick Cook.  It is "The Wizardy Compiled".
I liked the bit when he ran his maigc "program"; it created a demon.  It
is much fun.
Gehri Grimaud                           gehri@cc.usu.edu
Utah State University                   gehri@usu.bitnet
Office of Computer Services             tel. (801) 750-2392
UMC 3700
Logan, Utah  84322

  "It's spelled Gehri Grimaud, but it is pronounced Throat Warbler Mangrove"

depeche@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Sam Alan EZUST) (01/17/90)

In article <6959@lindy.Stanford.EDU> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

 > lma@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Larry M. Augustin) wrote in an article:
 >>In  <5894@umd5.umd.edu> ziegast@umd5.umd.edu (Eric W. Ziegast) writes:
 >>>In <1187@ariel.unm.edu> lazlo@ariel.unm.edu.UUCP (Lazlo Nibble) writes:
 >>>In the Arnold Schwarzenagor thriller, The Terminator, one will notice the
 >>>6502 assembly code appearing on the left side of Terminator's-eye view
 >>>camera shots.

 >	As another poster mentioned, it was definitely 6502 code..
 >
 >	I BELIEVE it was actually a DOS 3.3 listing of some point and
 >may have actually been a patch to DOS 3.3 from an article in BYTE. I
 >am sort of kludging things that I remember together, as "BYTE" and "DOS 3.3"
 >are basically the two main points I remember.

Well, all the correct answers were given in this thread, but nobody
realized that there are more than one!

Yes, one listing was a RWTS dump... Another was a monitor
memory dump... And another was the output of Key Perfect. (Perhaps
there were more, but I definitely remember these three)..

--
S. Alan Ezust                                   depeche@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca
McGill University School of Computer Science -  Montreal, Quebec, Canada