[alt.folklore.computers] One swift kick cures all

tkopp@carroll1.cc.edu (Tom Kopp) (01/11/90)

In article <6235@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> gt4@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Ford Prefect) writes:
|Purdue has a large number of Zenith z29 terminals in their public
|terminal sites, which I use rather frequently.  Several of these have
|a similar tendency to squeal, only these do so at ~20kHz, which is
|above most people's audible range.  Alas, not mine.  I have been known
|to stalk the room tracking down the squealer (it's not easy to
|directionalize that noise) and then smack the terminal about several
|times until it stops.  Now, if there are other people (who probably
|can't hear the squeal), they start to wonder what the f*ck I'm doing
|beating up on terminals.....
|--
|    (a.k.a. Scott Goehring)     ...!purdue!mentor.cc.purdue.edu!gt4

Scott...

I know the feeling.  I too am 'blessed' with sensitive ears.  What REALLY
gets me irritated at times is that I hear strange noises, and track them down
as having come from a powered up TV or computer monitor, esp. those w/ no
'image' being displayed.  I did some research and found out where this is
coming from.  One of the retrace pulses in the monitors is usually in the
18-20Khz range.  It is this that I've been hearing.  I remember as far back as
4th grade, I used to suddenly hear it as I neared the classroom with friends,
and sometimes said something like "$5 says we're seeing a movie today", and
usually several people took me up on it.  :)  I only lost once...the class
before ours had seen a movie and the equipment hadn't yet been powered down.

Tom.

--
Thomas J. Kopp:	Carroll College, Waukesha, WI knows not what I say.
tkopp@carroll1.cc.edu - uunet!marque!carroll1!tkopp

cmp8118@sys.uea.ac.uk (D.S. Cartwright) (01/18/90)

writes:

>Purdue has a large number of Zenith z29 terminals in their public
>terminal sites, which I use rather frequently.  Several of these have
>a similar tendency to squeal, only these do so at ~20kHz, which is
>above most people's audible range.  Alas, not mine.  I have been known
>to stalk the room tracking down the squealer (it's not easy to
>directionalize that noise) and then smack the terminal about several
>times until it stops.  Now, if there are other people (who probably
>can't hear the squeal), they start to wonder what the f*ck I'm doing
>beating up on terminals.....

	This technical approach does not, of course, simply end with complex
 computers/terminals, but extends way back into the past when my rather
prehistoric TV was made. I have lived in the house I'm in now since June, and
the TV came as part of the rent agreement, and for a while, it would start to
whistle and squeal and would be quite happy to shut up on introduction of
violence (i.e. walk up to set, open hand wide, and ******BLAT!!!!******). Now,
however, it has developed immunity to this serious violence (having gone
through a stage of needing harder and harder BLAT's to shut it up), so I now
watch a lot less telly than I used to. Perhaps it's a small electronic device
secreted in the set by a committee of opticians, or the Royal Society for the
Prevention of BLATting of Televisions. I dunno. I do know, however, that it's
a pain in the bum.

	Dave C, UEA, Norwich.