[alt.folklore.computers] Lights on Burroughs machines

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (01/17/90)

In article <729@ncs.dnd.ca> jstewart@ncs.dnd.ca (John Stewart) writes:
>The operating system was written such that one needed a good
>understanding of US history. For instance, the kill a process function
>was called something like "lincoln". (Maybe someone can remember for
>sure.)

That one I don't remember .... but system security was checked by the
routine JEDGARHOOVER

	Paul
--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: CAMPBELL.P
"Why is it that the US can invade Panama but not the Vatican Embassy?"

gis@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Brian L. Stuart) (01/17/90)

In article <1990Jan15.173434.5792@virtech.uucp> jje@virtech.uucp (Jeremy J. Epstein) writes:
>Rumor had it that the Burroughs B7700 would display the giant
>"Burroughs B" on its banks of lights when it was in idle state.
>I never saw it though...

Sure did.  I had a chance to see it when I was goofing around on
one one evening.  I was (now get this) doing some BASIC on punched
cards.  It didn't spell out Burroughs; it just displayed a "B" and
not a perfect one at that.  I suppose it wasn't completely idle
though.

Brian L. Stuart
Department of Computer Science
Purdue University

In article <1990Jan15.211417.17833@cs.rochester.edu> ken@cs.rochester.edu writes:
%|the Fortran compiler would optimize a program out of existence, given the
%|chance.
%
%Speaking of the Burroughs Fortran compiler, many years ago I happened
%to glance at a Burroughs Tech Bulletin (or whatever) and there was a
%bug warning stating (something like):
%
%"If the 25th variable in the 25th common block is named ZZXYZ then the
%compiler dies with a spurious error."
%
%It still boggles my mind how anybody would ever stumble upon a bug like
%that.

Better yet, think of the fun they must have had until they finally
decided it was repeatable/worth documenting!
--
 -=- PrayerMail: Send 100Mbits to holyghost@father.son[127.0.0.1]
 and You Too can have a Personal Electronic Relationship with God!

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (01/17/90)

In article <729@ncs.dnd.ca> jstewart@ncs.dnd.ca (John Stewart) writes:
}... it would also display
}
}    DE
}    AD
}
}if some part of the system was down!

IBM 370's and their descendants do the same thing (though they display
DEAD).

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimis non
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

cmp8118@sys.uea.ac.uk (D.S. Cartwright) (01/17/90)

gis@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Brian L. Stuart) writes about flashing lights;

I and my friends have developed many mini-theories about these items:

1. The speed of any machine is inversely proportional to the number of
   flashing lights.

2. The cost of any machine is proportional to the cube of the number of
   flashing lights.

3. The first item to malfunction on any piece of machinery is the flashing
   lights.

4. Any fault detection system which uses flashing lights is incapable of
   detecting faults in the flashing lights.

5. Any flashing light which detects the presence of mains power will fail to
   go off when the power is turned off.

6. Any light intended as any sort of 'Disk In Use' indicator will be rendered
   unnecessary by the very loud grinding noise of the disk drive; people will
   hear the drive being used and will never look at the flashing light.

7. Though machines are designed with the intention of avoiding redundancy in
   all circumstances, this practice does not extend to redundancy of flashing
   lights.

8. Problems will be encountered when trying to expand machines with extra disk
   drives, etc, as the front panel is full of flashing lights.

9. The peripheral support industry of the 1990's will me in the maintenance of
   flashing lights.

10. Flashing lights are a pain in the bum.

	Dave C, UEA, Norwich, ENGLAND.

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (01/18/90)

Not only was system file security enforced by subroutine JEDGARHOOVER,
but the procedure that split off new tasks ("forks") was called
MOTHERFORKER until some administrative type happened to see a listing
and complained; it was rechristened ROSEACACIA as that was much
sweeter smelling.

BTW, we still have our 7800 in the next room, with a bunch of PDP-11/04s
and 11/23s as terminal multiplexers.  None of them spell anything
interesting in the lights anymore.  Perhaps they're just never idle.
	- Brian

apippin@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Pinhead@Spikes) (01/20/90)

Add then hollombe@ttidcb.tti.com (The Polymath) babbles...
~IBM 370's and their descendants do the same thing (though they display
~DEAD).

	Can't remember what machine it was, but if it crashed...
	the console would print:

			 P.......

	And then give the kernal debug prompt.

    aBp.

--
Andy Pippin  -*-  apippin@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU  -*-  Conserve water, drink beir.

  "Write Only?!?  Must be talking about FORTH.  Nobody can read that."-samlb

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (01/20/90)

|~IBM 370's and their descendants do the same thing (though they display
|~DEAD).
|
|	Can't remember what machine it was, but if it crashed...
|	the console would print:

|			 P.......
|
|	And then give the kernal debug prompt.

I had fun with this program when I was learning about signals and in
particular signal 15 a.k.a. SIGTERM.

catch()
{
	int	fd;
	fd = open("/dev/tty8", 2);
	write(fd, "Arrggh, you dirty rat!\n\n\n\n", 26);
}

main()
{
	signal(15, catch);
	sleep(100000);
}

(Please, no nitpicks about small errors and bad style, I'm just trying
to give the idea. Besides, I was a bad programmer then. :-))

The next time the system manager did a graceful shutdown of the 11/40,
it printed on the console

	Arrggh, you dirty rat!

much to his chagrin.

PS: And yes, the console was /dev/tty8 in those days. Ask an old-timer.

greywolf@unisoft.UUCP (The Grey Wolf) (01/20/90)

In article <1065@sys.uea.ac.uk> cmp8118@sys.uea.ac.uk (D.S. Cartwright) writes:
>gis@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Brian L. Stuart) writes about flashing lights;
>
>I and my friends have developed many mini-theories about these items:
>
>1. The speed of any machine is inversely proportional to the number of
>   flashing lights.
>       .
>       .
>       .
>
>10. Flashing lights are a pain in the bum.
>
>	Dave C, UEA, Norwich, ENGLAND.

11.  A malfunctioning item is a sure bet that there's a flashing light
     somewhere.

--
"You guys are NUTS!  En-Vee-Tee-Ess, NUTS!"  -- History of the World, part I.

schwartz@cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (01/20/90)

>	Can't remember what machine it was, but if it crashed...
>	the console would print:
>			 P.......
>	And then give the kernal debug prompt.

Back in the old days, when psuvax1 really was a vax,
someone altered the kernel panic routine to print
	"Take her down Scotty, she's sucking mud!"
on the console just before handling the crash.