[alt.folklore.computers] Burroughs quirks, was Re: Lights on Burroughs machines

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (01/20/90)

In article <729@ncs.dnd.ca> jstewart@ncs.dnd.ca (John Stewart) writes:
> jje@virtech.uucp (Jeremy J. Epstein) writes:
>>Rumor had it that the Burroughs B7700 would display the giant
>>"Burroughs B" on its banks of lights when it was in idle state.
>>I never saw it though...
>
>The B5700's and 6700's that I programmed on at University had the front
>pannel where the students could see it.
>
>Yes, it would display a "B" when idle, but it would also display
>    DE
>    AD
>if some part of the system was down!
>
>Other burroughs trivia:
>
>One old disk had a signal called "HFML", that showed a digital true when
>the disk was spun up. HFML? Heads Flying Mighty Low, of course.

If it was a "storage module" drive, it was also pretty BIG - the cabinet
was about 6' by 8' by 6', and had individual platter chambers that were
about 6' in diameter, mounted vertically.  I saw one in the back room of
a electronic surplus place one time, and the main shaft was over 2" in
diameter.  It took one _h#$%&ofa_ good twist to get it moving (inertia
is a bitch, no?), but once moving the fact it was still moving 20 _minutes_
later showed that the designers knew their bearings...

>The operator consoles (SPO's) were writable by anyone. Yes, I almost
>got kicked out by faking operator displays.

The B3500 that I programmed in Fortran 4, COBOL and COBOLL used a ASR-33
for an operator console.  The console handler was swapped out most of the
time - there was a "INPUT" pushbutton on the front of the ASR that
interrupted the system, which loaded the handler, which then typed a prompt.

>the Fortran compiler would optimize a program out of existence, given the
>chance.
>
>Burroughs had developed "virtual memory" many years before IBM invented
>it.

MCP had a bug though - it didn't know how big the swap space on the disk
was.  I once wrote a program in fortran that _relied_ on the virtual
memory (memory is fuzzy, but I think it was:
 DIMENSION A(1000000,1000000,10)
 A=0
The above two lines wiped the system disk.

The conversation with the Department Chairman went something like:
Him: "Mike, you wiped the system disk with 2 lines of fortran code.
      The operators had to reload it from 20 boxes of cards.  Then
      they had to figure out what did it.  Four system reloads later..."
Me:  "What's a system disk?".
I was a 1st year programming student, what can I say...

A two-drive mag tape system was installed at the end of the semester.
Wonder why...

>I miss the old Burroughs, it was certainly a let down to have to program
>on PDP-11's when leaving University.

Yeah - only it was 360-30 assembler for me (still with an 029 for an
input device, however), then DG Nova 800s, 840s, and 1200s.  Then
Nova 2s, 3s and 4s and various flavors of MVs...
I have yet to log on to a IBM mainframe for any other purpose than PROFS mail.

Oh well...  maybe I haven't missed much.

But DG sure had a versatile assembler on RDOS.  Even did a Z80 CP/M BIOS
with it...  How many assemblers have a pseudo-op that erases all the
instruction definitions (".XPNG"), and others that define new ones (".DEFN")?

Now if the Nova 4 in the garage just had a comm chassis, a tape drive,
and more that 12.5mb of disk in it, and didn't cost so much on the
electric bill to run, maybe I could run a multi-line news feed...
Shouldn't be to hard to port uucp/m to RDOS...

Mike Morris                      Internet:  Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
                                 Misslenet: 34.12 N, 118.02 W
#Include quote.cute.standard     Bellnet:   818-447-7052
#Include disclaimer.standard     Radionet:  WA6ILQ