[alt.folklore.computers] GENERAL WARNING

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (10/29/90)

In article <1548@atlas.tegra.COM> vail@tegra.COM (Johnathan Vail) writes:

|    Two years ago when I was working at DG it was still in AOS.  Typing
|    `xyzzy' at the prompt returned "Nothing happens".

It's amazing that pieces of the the old `adventure' game are floating
around in OS's!  In the Adventure dungeon, if you typed `xyzzy' at
some inappropriate moment, the game would respond with `Nothing
happens'!

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.

jbayer@ispi.COM (Jonathan Bayer) (11/11/90)

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) writes:

>In article <1548@atlas.tegra.COM> vail@tegra.COM (Johnathan Vail) writes:
>|
>|    Two years ago when I was working at DG it was still in AOS.  Typing
>|    `xyzzy' at the prompt returned "Nothing happens".

>It's amazing that pieces of the the old `adventure' game are floating
>around in OS's!  In the Adventure dungeon, if you typed `xyzzy' at
>some inappropriate moment, the game would respond with `Nothing
>happens'!

Add the following to the /bin directory, and it would then be in your system:

main()
{
	printf("Nothing happens\n");
}

:-)

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

trev@hubcap.clemson.edu (Trevor Bauknight) (11/13/90)

In article <RALPH.90Oct29162415@orion.laas.fr>, ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) writes:
> |    Two years ago when I was working at DG it was still in AOS.  Typing
> |    `xyzzy' at the prompt returned "Nothing happens".
>
> It's amazing that pieces of the the old `adventure' game are floating
> around in OS's!  In the Adventure dungeon, if you typed `xyzzy' at
> some inappropriate moment, the game would respond with `Nothing
> happens'!

   In Zork I, I tried typing "xyzzy" and the program responded:

   "Fool."

   I just got subscribed to this group, and it's quite interesting.  I own
and operate a TeleVideo 803 CP/M machine which I've had since it was new...
all I've ever done is change the oil and filters...excellent machine...
makes a great terminal now.
--
---------------                                       Trevor Zion Bauknight
| _>  ###     |  	                            trev@hubcap.clemson.edu
|      |      |
---------------     "If it keeps on raining, the levee's going to break..."

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (11/13/90)

Jon <vector0!jon@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US>  asks:

>    Yeah, but when *is* something going to happen?  I've played Adventure
>before, but I don't know what you could do on the system to make 'xyzzy'
>work...

This is the procedure to follow:

   1)  Go to the business office across the street.

   2)  Log onto their system.

   3)  Tie into your own system over the net using your logon procedure.

   4)  Enter 'xyzzy'.

   5)  You are then transported back to your office.

-ss

bigm@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Michael Pilling (The phantom of the Milk Bar)) (11/13/90)

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) writes:

>In article <1548@atlas.tegra.COM> vail@tegra.COM (Johnathan Vail) writes:
>|
>|    Two years ago when I was working at DG it was still in AOS.  Typing
>|    `xyzzy' at the prompt returned "Nothing happens".

>It's amazing that pieces of the the old `adventure' game are floating
>around in OS's!  In the Adventure dungeon, if you typed `xyzzy' at
>some inappropriate moment, the game would respond with `Nothing
>happens'!

It's probably still there too!
DG did such a good job of simulating 16 bit AOS in 32 bit AOS/VS with
call translation within the agent that it never really bothered rewritting
most of the CLI, but left it in 16 bit assembler.
Strangely enough, xyzzy was a very useful command for debugging and a safe
way of putting in a must fill this code in reminder.
Also, xyzzy was implemented somewhere outside the general parser,
as if you give it any arguments or switches it returns the
error
NOT A COMMAND OR MACRO
unlike all other builtins which will say UNKNOWN SWITCH or UNEXPECTED ARGUMENT.

Michael
--
 _--_|\  Michael John Pilling,		 bigm@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au
/      \ Computer Science Department,    She was pregnant and, unfortunately,

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (11/13/90)

I tried to reply to jon but his posting didn't leave neither a From:
nor Reply-To: header.  Shame!  Shame!

If my memory serves well, xyzzy worked in the room where you heard
PLUGH or some such.
--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.
ralph@laas.uucp, or ...!uunet!laas!ralph
If all else fails, try:				      sobek@eclair.Berkeley.EDU
Reliable software should kill people reliably! -Andy Mickel, Pascal News #13,78

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (11/14/90)

What IS xyzzy?
	Does it have some acronymical significance?
What is Adventure? (I am young, bear with me)

--
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (11/15/90)

In article <RALPH.90Nov13152815@orion.laas.fr> ralph@laas.fr writes:
>I tried to reply to jon but his posting didn't leave neither a From:
>nor Reply-To: header.  Shame!  Shame!

>If my memory serves well, xyzzy worked in the room where you heard
>PLUGH or some such.

Well, no, but close:

1. XYZZY would take you from the well house (on the surface) to the
   debris room (the one with the rod). And visa versa.

2. PLUGH would take you  from the well house to the Y2 room, and visa versa.

3. Y2 would take you from the east end of the Hall of Mists to the Rock Jumble
   and from there to the Y2 room.

4. PLOVER would take you from the Plover room to the Y2 room, and visa versa.

5. SECRET would take you to the Secret Tight Canyon from the Hall of the
   Mountain King.

6. BEDQUILT would take you to Bedquilt from the Large Low Room.

7. ORIENTAL would take you to the Oriental Room from any adjacient room.

8. SLAB would take you to the slab room from Bedquilt.

9. CANYON would take you to the Tall E/W canyon from the Swiss Cheeze room

10. CAVERN would take you to the Misty cavern from the Oriental Room or the
    Alcove.

Is that enough secret motion words?

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov13.235831.1451@ddsw1.MCS.COM> zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) writes:

>What IS xyzzy?
>	Does it have some acronymical significance?
>What is Adventure? (I am young, bear with me)

Adventure is the ancestor of all modern Infocom-type text adventures.  XYZZY
was a magic word from the game.

--
whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM | I don't know, who's at DDSW1? | whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM!
I asked YOU who's at DDSW1! Ok, there's a guy at DDSW1, right? | Right!

eps@rieska.oulu.fi (Erkka Sutinen) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov13.235831.1451@ddsw1.MCS.COM> zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) writes:

>What is Adventure? (I am young, bear with me)
>zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

I don't stand this........ I mean... I'm 21, and these make me feel
myself so old...... *sight*

So I'd suggest new newsgroup: alt.gap.between.generations
	and
#define generation ~ 1 year

*sight* and it feels like yesterday..............

==============================# Olet saastaa kerran sin{kin, samanlainen
Erkka Pietari Sutinen         #   kuin kammottava haaska tuo,
INTERNET: eps@tolsun.oulu.fi  # Sin{ silm{ini t{hti, aurinko loistavainen
EARN/BITNET: TKOP-EPS AT FINOU#   sin{ enkelini ja himoni vuo...-Baudelaire