[alt.folklore.computers] External RAM-disk

mathew@mwowm.mantis.co.uk (mathew) (03/18/91)

In <7812@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk>, Nick Rothwell writes:
>This reminds be of an idea I had a while ago. I was thinking of building
>an external RAM-disk (floppy) for a Mac, with a meg or two of RAM in
>it. It would have loads of LED's to show read/write to the various sectors.
>Never got round to it (besides, the interface circuitry would probably
>have been really messy). It would have looked nice, though.

It's been done. Watford Electronics designed and built an external RAM disk
for the BBC Micro.

mathew

gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Dave Gilbert) (03/19/91)

I've got a PMS 64K ram disc on my model B - fully battery backed as well,
at one point we were thinking of the Morley one which gives about 1 to 2Mb
of stuff - but the cost is getting to the point now that you may as well
by a hard drive.

Dave

- Dave Gilbert - gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk - The MTBF of a piece of equipment  -
-                G7FHJ@GB7NWP             - is inversly proportional to its   -