[alt.folklore.computers] DS HD floppies

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun18.234702.9028@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
>>In recent years HD floppies almost never have a hub ring, will DD
>>always do.  In the past this was not true, so it's certainly possible
>>to find a DD disk without a hub ring.  As far as a I know, no drive
>
>I remember someone selling a gizmo for putting
>on hub rings years ago.

Me too.

>Incidentally, why don't HD diskettes have hub
>rings? You'll also notice that HD floppies

I don't really know, I remember reading about how HD drives don't
need them.  It seemed to me that hub rings are there to protect
the hub from dammage, perhaps someone out there knows the real reason?

>rotate all the time, DD stop spinning between
>reads or writes (for 5 1/4s, that is).

They do?  I just checked on an old AT here, and it only spins for a
moment when a disk is first inserted, and on disk activity.  I do know
that some 8" floppy drives did spin all the time, a solenoid would push
the heads against the disk only when transfering data, to reduce disk
and head wear.

I'm cross posting this to alt.folklore.computers.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony