[comp.lang.perl] Perl3.0/6 on 3B2--HELP!

gaspar@STL-08SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Al Gaspar) (12/13/89)

Apologies to all if you saw this already.  I am trying to port perl 3.0
patchlevel 6 to a 3B2 running SysVr3 with Berkeley sockets.  I can
compile and load perl, but when I run TEST it core dumps on the
base.lex test 10.  A number of other tests also fail.  Has anyone
gotten perl to work properly on a 3B2?  To get things to compile and
load quietly I am only including <sys/time.h>, and I am using -lc_s,
-lnet, -lnsl_s, and -lm.

Thanks--

Al

--
Al Gaspar	<gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil>
(used to be <gaspar@almsa-1.arpa>)

tell@oscar.cs.unc.edu (Stephen Tell) (12/14/89)

I had lots of trouble with Perl3.0/6 on a 3b2 as well; it would core
dump on all but trivial test programs.  I compiled with debugging on,
and found it to be calling some of the memory allocation stuff with bogus
arguments.

Everything worked fine after I recompiled with the optimizer off; I'm
planning to stick with the un-optimized version.

We have berkeley sockets, but I turned off the network support early on
while looking for the problem.  Sometime I'll re-enable it and try again.

tim@casux4.uucp (Tim J Ihde) (12/14/89)

In article <1794@uvaarpa.virginia.edu> gaspar@STL-08SIMA.ARMY.MIL writes:
>Apologies to all if you saw this already.  I am trying to port perl 3.0
>patchlevel 6 to a 3B2 running SysVr3 with Berkeley sockets.  I can
>compile and load perl, but when I run TEST it core dumps on the
>base.lex test 10.  A number of other tests also fail.  Has anyone
>gotten perl to work properly on a 3B2?

I had the same problem with Perl 2.? on my 3B2, until I compiled with the
optimizer off.  Then all the tests passed.  I haven't even tried using the
optimizer on 3.0, but all tests passed on this machine without it.

I'm not using sockets here, but the test you describe as failing shouldn't be
affected by that.  I'm pretty sure that's the same test that failed with 2.?
(along with several others).

	tim
Tim J Ihde

Reply-To Lies!  Use ...!att!attdso!tws4!tim