[comp.lang.perl] Perl on a 3b2

gaspar@STL-08SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Al Gaspar) (12/13/89)

Alex,

|> I am trying to port perl3/patch 6 to an AT&T 3b2 running SysVr3 with
|> Berkeley sockets.  I've produced an executable, but it fails on a number
|> of basic tests.

|Al,

|I am in exectly the same predicament as you are.  The only difference is that
|don't have sockets installed on our 3B2.
|
|make test produces the following:
|
| chmod +x t/TEST t/base.* t/comp.* t/cmd.* t/io.* t/op.*; \
|        cd t && (rm -f perl; ln ../perl .) && ./perl TEST
|base.cond.......FAILED on test 2
|Failed a basic test--cannot continue.
|*** Error code 2 (ignored)
|
|Did you get past that part yet?  Any good ideas come from the perl users?
|
|I've heared a lot of good thinga about perl and would like to
|start using it......
|
|Thanks in advance,

|-- Alex

| Alex Beylin, Unix Systems Admin.       | +1 313 948-3386
| alexb%cfctech.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu | Chrysler Financial Corp.
| sharkey!cfctech!alexb                  | MIS, Distributed Systems
| ATT Mail ID: attmail!abeylin           | Southfield, MI 48034

    Yes.  I get exactly the same thing.  If I cd to the t directory
and run 'perl TEST' the same thing results.  However, if I run
'perl base.cond' in the t directory it comes up ok on all of the
tests.  The rest of the base tests all work except for base.lex
which fails on 3 and 7 and core dumps on 10.  I haven't tried all
of the others yet.  If you, or anyone else, has any ideas, I'm
open for suggestions.

Cheers--

Al

--
Al Gaspar	<gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil>
(used to be <gaspar@almsa-1.arpa>)

yearke@planck.uucp (Dave Yearke) (12/15/89)

In article <1795@uvaarpa.virginia.edu> gaspar@STL-08SIMA.ARMY.MIL writes:
>|> I am trying to port perl3/patch 6 to an AT&T 3b2 running SysVr3 with
>|> Berkeley sockets.  I've produced an executable, but it fails on a number
>|> of basic tests.

I have found that, a lot of the time, turning off the optimizer will fix
problems with software not running properly on a 3B2.  This has been true
of every release of perl that I have compiled on that machine.  Recompile
without -O and see what happens.

Hope this helps.

--
                Dave Yearke, Calspan Advanced Technology Center
                         ...!sunybcs!planck!yearke

len@netsys.netsys.COM (Len Rose) (12/16/89)

Turning off the optimizer works fine with patchlevel 0, but I cannot get it
to compile at all with the initial patches posted with the source in
comp.sources.unix.. (fails at doio.c)

Would someone who has successfully made this on a 3B2/400 or up please send
me the rest of the patches (if any)?

The system environment is System V 3.2 with the latest compiler..
( cc: command - C Compilation System, Issue 4.2 4/29/87 )

Thanks.