[comp.lang.perl] minor problem compiling 3.0pl8 on convexen

tchrist@convexe.uucp (Tom Christiansen) (01/16/90)

In compiling for patchlevel 8, I found that because we have
(or will have) a <utime.h>, Configure #defined I_UTIME.
However, that file looks like this:

    #ifndef _UTIME_H_
    #define _UTIME_H_       1

    #ifndef _PROTO
    #include        <proto.h>
    #endif

    struct  utimbuf {
	    time_t  actime;
	    time_t  modtime;
    };

    extern  int     utime   _PROTO((char *path,struct utimbuf *times));

    #endif

Which meant that doio.c would blow up like this:

    gcc -c -fpcc-struct-return -O  doio.c
    doio.c: In function apply:
    doio.c:1999: structure has no member named `acusec'
    doio.c:2000: structure has no member named `modusec'

The solution was #undefining I_UTIME in config.h

--tom

    Tom Christiansen                       {uunet,uiucdcs,sun}!convex!tchrist
    Convex Computer Corporation                            tchrist@convex.COM
		 "EMACS belongs in <sys/errno.h>: Editor too big!"

jand@kuling.UUCP (Jan Dj{rv) (01/18/90)

In article <4610@convex.UUCP> tchrist@convex.Com (Tom Christiansen) writes:
>In compiling for patchlevel 8, I found that because we have
>(or will have) a <utime.h>, Configure #defined I_UTIME.

	[stuff deleted]

>The solution was #undefining I_UTIME in config.h
>

>--tom

This subject has been touched upon before. It seems that many machines
don't have the utime.h that Configure takes for granted.

We had the same problem you describe on HP-UX, and the solution was the one
you suggest.

	Jan D.