[comp.lang.perl] sort: thanks

ccount@athena.mit.edu (Craig A Counterman) (02/02/90)

In article <1990Feb1.163539.10576@iwarp.intel.com> merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) writes:

>[perl programs deleted]
>
>A little tricky, but if you take it through step-by-step, you'll see
>what I'm doing there.  If you get stuck, write me back, and I'll do it
>in detail.

Ah ha.  I hadn't thought of using the sort SUBROUTINE parameter in
that manner.  It's less than intuitive for me.  This technique should
go in the book, and some program in 'eg/' I think.

>Just another Perl hacker, of sorts,
>--
>/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\

Thanks,
Craig

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (02/02/90)

In article <1990Feb1.193401.2229@athena.mit.edu>, ccount@athena (Craig A Counterman) writes:
| Ah ha.  I hadn't thought of using the sort SUBROUTINE parameter in
| that manner.  It's less than intuitive for me.  This technique should
| go in the book, and some program in 'eg/' I think.

Believe me, it's less than intuitive for me too.  But, after reading
zillions of lines of code in, well, must be over 30 or 40 production
languages by now, some of the idioms become rather universal for doing
things like sorting and searching.  Perl lends itself to rather direct
expression of those as well as any Algol-derived language.  (Remember,
it all started with Algol... :-).

It will obviously go in the book.  I save *everything*.

Just another Perl hacker,
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |