[comp.lang.perl] "standalone" perl scripts

al@jupiter.cs.pittsburgh.edu (Alan Martello) (03/03/90)

Thanks to Larry and others, I almost have my nightly backups
happening correctly...just one more thing.

I installed perl in /usr/local/bin with its lib in /usr/local/lib/perl

But, since I wanted to dump the filesystem /usr/local at night,
I figured that I needed to move /usr/local/bin/perl off of the filesystem
(which I did).

However, I neglected the fact that the library was (apparently) open
(since I couldn't unmount /usr/local and no active user processes
were around).  A grep of the strings from /bin/perl (my moved perl) revealed
that it indeed contained references to /usr/loca/lib/perl in it.

Now for my question:  1) is there anything "important" in /usr/local/lib/perl
(there doesn't appear to be anything critical there on my system, just
libraries which I don't think I'm using).

2) has anyone successfully done an "undump" under SunOS 4.0.x ? I've
done it under SunOS 3.5 but the final a.out which is generated by
running the same program under 4.0.x doesn't work.  (2 guesses, either
the a.out format has changed with the additions of dynamic libraries
under 4.x or the dynamic libraries aren't linked into perl and thus,
the rebuilt a.out is missing libraries).

Of course, 2) above assumes that a dump'ed perl wouldn't need to open
/usr/local/lib/perl, which I'm not sure if this is correct or not.

Yes, I know that I can get around this problem by simply moving the
library (if this is indeed why the filesystem isn't getting unmounted)
but I would prefer not to have to do this.  In particular, It would be
convenient for me to move a correct perl script to another machine,
which doesn't have perl installed, without having to move the library,
either by moving /bin/perl or simply doing an "undump".

Thoughts anyone?

       Alan R. Martello        Electrical Engineering Dept.
        al@ee.pitt.edu           University of Pittsburgh

jtkohl@MIT.EDU (John T Kohl) (03/03/90)

In article <7007@pitt.UUCP> al@jupiter.cs.pittsburgh.edu (Alan Martello) writes:
>  I installed perl in /usr/local/bin with its lib in /usr/local/lib/perl

>  Yes, I know that I can get around this problem by simply moving the
>  library (if this is indeed why the filesystem isn't getting unmounted)
>  but I would prefer not to have to do this.

You mentioned SunOS, so you might try making /usr/local/lib/perl a
symbolic link off to some other place on a different partition.  Then if
your perl doing the backups reads libraries before unmounting, you
should be all set.
--
John Kohl <jtkohl@ATHENA.MIT.EDU> or <jtkohl@Kolvir.Brookline.MA.US>
Digital Equipment Corporation/Project Athena

brian@hpausla.aso.hp.com (Brian Coogan) (03/05/90)

Alan Martello <al@jupiter.cs.pittsburgh.edu> writes in comp.lang.perl:
> But, since I wanted to dump the filesystem /usr/local at night,
> I figured that I needed to move /usr/local/bin/perl off of the filesystem
> (which I did).

This doesn't solve the problem of having /usr/local/ open via references
to the lib/perl directory, but you could always duplicate
/usr/local/lib/perl underneath the mount point.  This is a horrible fix
in that normally you would have two copies of the perl lib stuff around
(one presumably on the root filesystem, concealed by and inaccessible
under the mounted /usr/local, the other one on the mounted /usr/local),
but it would work.