[comp.lang.perl] Patched perl misbehaves under the debugger

pem@frankland-river.aaii.oz.au (Paul E. Maisano) (03/04/90)

After bringing my version of perl up to patch level 12 on a sparcstation1
and a SUN 3/60, I noticed that "perl -d prog" dumped core occasionally.
I narrowed it down to explicit returns inside a subroutine.
This happens on both the sparcstation and the sun3. The scripts work fine
when run normally. So the work around is obvious: write your programs
in such a way that you either don't use explicit returns or so they work
first time and need no debugging :-)

Seriously, I have just been using perl.old for debugging purposes.

This program dumps core when run under the debugger:

---------------
#!/usr/bin/perl

sub bug {
    return 1;
}

&bug;
---------------

------------------
Paul E. Maisano
Australian Artificial Intelligence Institute
1 Grattan St. Carlton, Vic. 3053, Australia
Ph: +613 663-7922  Fax: +613 663-7937
Email: pem@aaii.oz.au   UUCP: {uunet,mcsun,ukc,nttlab}!munnari!aaii.oz.au!pem

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (03/07/90)

In article <1210@frankland-river.aaii.oz.au> pem@frankland-river.aaii.oz.au (Paul E. Maisano) writes:
> This program dumps core when run under the debugger:
> ---------------
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> sub bug {
>     return 1;
> }
>
> &bug;

Yup, does here too at patchlevel 12. [Xenix 386 2.3.2 with 2.3 Dev Sys and
Microsoft 5.1 beta compiler lng085]

Doesn't appear to core with pl6, but my pl6 binary had Chip Salzenberg's
Lachman TCP/Xenix patches, and was compiled with the MSC 4.85 compiler
(arrrggghhh)

--
Eunet: Ronald.Khoo@robobar.Co.Uk   Phone: +44 1 991 1142    Fax: +44 1 998 8343
Paper: Robobar Ltd. 22 Wadsworth Road, Perivale, Middx., UB6 7JD ENGLAND.